Where to Locate one odd cable in dual parallel bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 685eric View Post
    Well I soldered my cables. I don't plan on having a large enough current to melt the solder....
    Hmm. Simple math for a 2000 watt inverter connected to a 12volt battery could generate 167amps. Even a 1000watt inverter would get you over 80A which can create a lot of heat. So I am not sure what you mean by "not having a larger enough current to melt solder".

Any heat on the solder joint along with movement of the cable is a formula for a loose connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Toss all those cables. They look like they were crimped with a hammer & nail, and are a fire waiting to happen.
      I've never seen a crimp like that before on a high amp battery cable, and I would never trust them.
      -edit-
      Sorry, that sounds really harsh, but I believe it to be truth, AFIK, good cable crimps are 6 sided and are about 3/4 of the entire socket
      That's just flat wrong.
      Nest-Indenter crimps are quite popular in a variety of industries. They are the only acceptable method on many military standards, for connectors that are used on fighter jets and satellites.
      In addition, hex dies are only 1 type of circumferential crimp. It is more preferred in Europe, but in the US, rounded die sets are more popular in the electrical industry.

To flat out say hex crimps are the only thing that are any good is ill informed.

I'm not saying OP's crimps are perfect, as we need to know what tool was used, and also it looks like those lugs are designed for 2 crimps as opposed to the single crimp shown.

Comment

Actually if his copper tube homemade terminals are soldered and yours are crimped, he has a better connection between his wire and connector and probably has less chance of a fire than yours...... assuming yours are not soldered but I am sure they are.
        Dead wrong my friend. Properly crimped Terminals are far superior than solder. No industry practices and standards allows soldered connections. Example NEC only allows Solder if the connection does not rely on the solder for electrical or mechanical connection.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Well I soldered my cables. I don't plan on having a large enough current to melt the solder....
          OK great make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post

That's just flat wrong.
            Nest-Indenter crimps are quite popular in a variety of industries. They are the only acceptable method on many military standards, for connectors that are used on fighter jets and satellites.
            In addition, hex dies are only 1 type of circumferential crimp. It is more preferred in Europe, but in the US, rounded die sets are more popular in the electrical industry.

To flat out say hex crimps are the only thing that are any good is ill informed.

I'm not saying OP's crimps are perfect, as we need to know what tool was used, and also it looks like those lugs are designed for 2 crimps as opposed to the single crimp shown.
            I designed and built satellites for the US space industry for 34 years and NEVER ever saw or heard of a single dimple crimp. Some crimps were 4 dimples, with a $500 crimper and dies set, that had to be certified by QA every 6 months, and sample crimps at start and end of shift submitted for testing. These were for signal and control wires, of less than 1 amp, about 20 or 22 ga. Connector bodies were then epoxy potted to prevent flexing of the wire in the crimp, and strain relief was an extended backshell. For high currents (over 30A) a hydraulic crimp that fuses the copper strands together and to the barrel, can't be beat, Yes, the tool costs money, but in a budget system, how many fires or blackouts can you afford ?
            A single dimple crimp (as shown) in a high amp battery cable is Trouble waiting to happen.

So I'll crimp mine and you crimp yours and I'll leave it at that.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
            X