Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla needs help

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4049...uptcy-4-months

A lot is riding on that Model 3. This will be an interesting year.

Comment

Probably another reason Tesla sponsored that 20MW battery system recently installed to cover the loss of the SoCal Gas. They need to get as much publicity as possible that might provide additional funding any way they can find it until the Model 3 hits the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Probably another reason Tesla sponsored that 20MW battery system recently installed to cover the loss of the SoCal Gas.
        What do you mean 'sponsored'? As far as I know, they sold it to the utilities, as did the other vendors who provided large battery systems (AES, Greensmith, and maybe one other).

(This was a small part of the Aliso Canyon action plans, mentioned simply as ''accelerate electricity storage" in docketpublic.energy.ca.gov/PublicDocuments/16-IEPR-02/TN213406_20160901T073434_Aliso_Canyon_Gas_and_Elec tric_Reliability_Winter_Action_Plan.pdf )

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post

What do you mean 'sponsored'? As far as I know, they sold it to the utilities, as did the other vendors who provided large battery systems (AES, Greensmith, and maybe one other).

(This was a small part of the Aliso Canyon action plans, mentioned simply as ''accelerate electricity storage" in docketpublic.energy.ca.gov/PublicDocuments/16-IEPR-02/TN213406_20160901T073434_Aliso_Canyon_Gas_and_Elec tric_Reliability_Winter_Action_Plan.pdf )
          Ok. Maybe I meant they are getting advertising for it.

I am sure someone paid for it and it was not given by Tesla for free. So they were paid and got advertising. Which they need to keep the money coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            So they were paid and got advertising. Which they need to keep the money coming in.
            Yeah. Selling things and getting paid is good for business

Comment

Yeah. Selling things and getting paid is good for business
              Agreed. But based on the original post it seems Tesla may be getting desperate to bring in money any way it can to keep it afloat. I hope they can do so to get the Model 3 out the door soon.

While I really don't like Musk I do want the company to survive.

Comment

Maybe he should quit digging giant holes in an earthquake zone.

Comment

Lots of people have lost money shorting Tesla this year. The article is pessimistic, but the guy who wrote it has been wrong about Tesla before, I think.

Comment

Lots of people have lost money shorting Tesla this year. The article is pessimistic, but the guy who wrote it has been wrong about Tesla before, I think.
                    Again. I hope Tesla gets out of the red and becomes profitable. It would help the EV market to see that company make headway.

Just because I don't like the man at the head of the company doesn't mean I don't like the product.

Comment

They need a better chef to cook the books. Tesla has not made a dime of profit ever. Only way they stay a float is by cooking the books. Great stock to get rich on if you got in early. Just don't be the guy holding any stock when the SEC shuts them down.
                      Last edited by Sunking; 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Tesla ditches Silevo

If there was any doubt that Tesla's (NASDAQ:TSLA) acquisition of SolarCity meant the end of Silevo's technology in the Buffalo, New York, solar factory, now dubbed Gigafactory 2, Tesla's 2016 10-K ended the debate. Panasonic will be in charge of manufacturing and Tesla will be little more than a customer. Here's the notable segment from the filing:
                        In December 2016, we entered into a Production Pricing Agreement: Phases 1-3 ... with Panasonic Corporation, Panasonic Corporation of North America and Sanyo Electronic Co., Ltd (collectively, Panasonic). This agreement provides that Panasonic will manufacture custom photovoltaic (PV) cells and modules for us, primarily at Gigafactory 2, and that we will purchase certain amounts of PV cells and modules [from] Panasonic during the 10-year term, with the intent to produce PV cells and modules totaling approximately 1 gigawatt annually beginning in 2019.
                        It's also worth noting that Tesla said Silevo won't meet its last two milestones associated with the acquisition -- related to reaching target efficiencies and manufacturing volume and cost -- and recorded an $84 million gain as a result of the contingent payouts that will now not be made, an amount which was recorded as an offset to selling, general and administrative expenses.

The solar manufacturing situation at Tesla appears to be a complete mess, and with Silevo out, Panasonic is nothing more than a traditional supplier. It's hard to see how that will lead to lower costs or higher efficiency than just buying solar panels on the open market.

Comment

Originally posted by SWFLA View Post
                          Tesla ditches Silevo

If there was any doubt that Tesla's (NASDAQ:TSLA) acquisition of SolarCity meant the end of Silevo's technology in the Buffalo, New York, solar factory, now dubbed Gigafactory 2, Tesla's 2016 10-K ended the debate. Panasonic will be in charge of manufacturing and Tesla will be little more than a customer. Here's the notable segment from the filing:
                          In December 2016, we entered into a Production Pricing Agreement: Phases 1-3 ... with Panasonic Corporation, Panasonic Corporation of North America and Sanyo Electronic Co., Ltd (collectively, Panasonic). This agreement provides that Panasonic will manufacture custom photovoltaic (PV) cells and modules for us, primarily at Gigafactory 2, and that we will purchase certain amounts of PV cells and modules [from] Panasonic during the 10-year term, with the intent to produce PV cells and modules totaling approximately 1 gigawatt annually beginning in 2019.
                          It's also worth noting that Tesla said Silevo won't meet its last two milestones associated with the acquisition -- related to reaching target efficiencies and manufacturing volume and cost -- and recorded an $84 million gain as a result of the contingent payouts that will now not be made, an amount which was recorded as an offset to selling, general and administrative expenses.

The solar manufacturing situation at Tesla appears to be a complete mess, and with Silevo out, Panasonic is nothing more than a traditional supplier. It's hard to see how that will lead to lower costs or higher efficiency than just buying solar panels on the open market.
                          I know someone who's fairly high up in the co. that's the prime contractor for the SC Buffalo factory build. While all this is sort of second/third hand and none of it is bankable, seems like things are going ahead w/the plan looking like more Panasonic cash, and with plans for Panasonic nameplates to go on the panels made at that site, with Panasonic providing more input to mfg. processes. They (Panasonic) have been on/off site for some time now w/ a seeming increasing presence. Scuttlebutt is this was one of several contingency plans.

With SC selling less product, and trying to find its sea legs selling vs. leasing, I'm guessing - my opinion only, no one else's - the plant may well wind up a white elephant or be passed around from one panel mfg. to another as the solar business consolidates. The name over the factory door may say Panasonic or some other outfit as time goes by. The site was once a big Republic steel mill that got demolished. I suppose it could always revert to an empty field of dreams. I won't be surprised when all the toxic stuff from prior use of the land really starts to show up and the whole thing winds up a toxic waste site.

Comment

Well, it'll be domestic production, which might be an advantage. (Note that the 10-K said something about not importing Silevo panels from China because of import taxes.)
                            If the US raises import taxes, a Panasonic factory in New York might be well-positioned (relatively speaking -- it still seems high risk).

The solar cell production business is so tough, it's probably a good move by Tesla to get Panasonic to take the risk.
                            Will solar shingle production be farmed out, too? Supposedly Tesla's "glass technology group" is doing something both with solar shingles and automotive glass, but I haven't heard whether they're doing production in-house, or just R&D.

Comment

New York state is spending $750 million to build a solar panel factory in Buffalo for SolarCity. The San Mateo, Calif.-based company will lease the plant for $1 a year. It will not pay property taxes for a decade, which would otherwise total an estimated $260 million.

not to mention it won't make any money and therefore no income tax

so is the state of New York subsidizing Tesla or Panasonic?

the only good that will come out of that is some jobs hopefully they last a while

Comment

Working...
                              X