isolator question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idiggplants
    • Mar 2011

ok thanks. that answers my question. im the type that has to understand it, not just accept it for how it is. so thanks for the explanations.

so... i guess my next question has to do with all this.....

Originally posted by idiggplants

i will definitely be replacing the battery before we do anything else.

the batteries we currently get are blemished batteries from deka for $100. and they last us 5+ years on our current setup... granted it seems like we are squeezing an extra year(or 2) out of them... but regardless, its hard to justify changing too much there, but if we can get similar life out of a battery that costs us nearly the same amount, then im open to changing it up.

a friend of mine in the industry just told me he can find me these:

for 100 bucks a pop. which is an insane price, but would require a lot of retrofitting. different mount, wiring?, and id need an mppt controller on top of that. so im not sure that i can take advantage of the offer.

we have the need for another charge controller and another panel for a remote shed. something similar to what our pavilion uses... so we have to get another charge controller... im thinking about getting an mppt controller, and swapping it into the cabin, and using the pwm for the new project...

how many amp mppt would i need for 200w that we currently have, but would like the freedom to up that to 400w in the future.

currently everything we have is renogy brand.... crappy generic stuff, i know, but it has worked for us quite well. this is the controller i was planning on using..

unfortunately i dont think ill be able to afford too much more $ on anything more name brand.

so to summarize...
    im definitely replacing the batterry in the cabin. with what, i dont know. im in a slightly unique situation where i can get a "blemished" 31 group deep cycle from east penn for $115. from what i understand, im not going to beat that, right? i talked to the rep and he said they do get golf cart battery blems occasionally. if i can find a 100AH golf cart battery, would there be an advantage in getting 1 vs the other?

we need a 100w panel setup for a small shed which will be getting a 50ah battery. so... if we are doing that, im thinking i will pull the charge controller from the cabin and put it on the shed.

so... we will probably replace the charge controller with an mppt controller.
    will the renogy one above work?
    how many amps do i need for 200w?
    is it ok to get one that can handle more to allow for expansion? or is oversizing mppt controllers bad?
    should i rewire the panels to be in series instead of parallel, since the mppt can handle higher voltages?

thanks again folks.

Comment

• idiggplants
      • Mar 2011

why are all my replys to this post now requiring "review" or approval before they are submitted?

just realized, it is the ones with the links. probably worried about spam.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by idiggplants
        why are all my replys to this post now requiring "review" or approval before they are submitted?

just realized, it is the ones with the links. probably worried about spam.
        exactly. But it's done. Mod
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...