Hydrometer kaput?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrometer kaput?

Just installed new 50a Mptt Fangpusun charge controller. Before, in the morning I read 12.45... Now, without inverter usage, I read 12.05
    This is my second Auto Zone hydrometer. The first was definitely faulty. and it is too early in the day to verify with a multimeter.
    Do I have another lemon? How can you tell? It reads my car battery correctly!

Quit buying hydrometeors from Auto Parts dealers, they are junk. Instead buy a real one for $5. One of the best you can buy short of a Laboratory Master Hydrometer.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Just caught the rest of your post. If your car battery reads fine and your solar battery does not, guess what that means?
      Last edited by Sunking; 01-13-2017, 12:25 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

You are NOT helpfull! Instead you are full of it. The batteries are new and fine. The junk from AUTOZone cost me more than 5 bucks in my area. And the question remains: How to tell a faulty hydrometer

Comment

Originally posted by DeeZee View Post
          .....And the question remains: How to tell a faulty hydrometer
          it reads a good battery as bad OR a bad battery as good. If your working car battery tests as Good, the calibration is likely OK

How about mixing up a batch of calibration fluid for a 1 time test ?
          Both home brewers (beer) and aquarists (salt water fish keepers) have simple methods to calibrate their gear.
          You mix up a reference solution of pure water and a weighed amount of salt to produce a fluid with the properties you want to calibrate with
          And keep the temperature correct, fluid density changes with temperature,
          Rinse extra well to not contaminate your batteries,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by DeeZee View Post
            You are NOT helpfull! Instead you are full of it. The batteries are new and fine. The junk from AUTOZone cost me more than 5 bucks in my area. And the question remains: How to tell a faulty hydrometer
            I told you exactly what is wrong. Get rid of the cheap Auto Battery Tester and get a real hydrometer.

Secondly if you can get a reading on your car battery like you said, and not on you deep cycle battery can only mean one thing. It is in desperate need of a full charge. You battery voltage is screaming out loud telling you that and verified with your hydrometer.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X