Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery storage

Hello all,
    I need some suggestions to store my solar batteries this winter. I was thinking about self storage units ( https://www.jiffystorage.com/ ). Do you have any better ideas?? Where did you store your batteries?? All your suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Store them some place you can put a trickle charger on them to overcome self discharge. Might verify that the storage unit place allows the storage of batteries. The acid would be considered a hazardous material so many may not allow their storage.

Comment

Are they sealed or flooded?
      Solar Queen
      altE Store

Comment

I am confused? You plan to move all the batteries of your bank to a climate controlled storage unit each winter? will they have a charger on them wile in storage.

Comment

I'd just toss them behind the house. As long as they are at least 50% charged they'll never freeze. If you really want to be fancy go to Home Depot and buy a $100 garden box to put them in. Cheaper than a storage place and you can trickle charge them if you want to.

I suspect that 95% of people just leave the batteries where they sit, the winter weather won't hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt 1 View Post
            I'd just toss them behind the house. As long as they are at least 50% charged they'll never freeze......
            1) at 50% charge, they are unlikely to freeze, but they will be damaged badly by sulfation and next to useless in the spring. You want to keep them at least 85% charged.
            Once a month in cold weather, with a charger, will keep them happy.

Freeze point Pb battery.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions.. I started using solar batteries this year. That's why I have no idea how to store them in winter. Our's is a sealed solar battery.Seems like I don't have to store them in the storage unit john Galt. Are you sure that winter won't damage my solar battery??

Comment

The cold weather won't hurt them. AGM and lead acid batteries self discharge at about 5% per month so make sure they are full before storing them and top off their charge once or twice over the winter. A trickle charger would be the ultimate way to keep them topped off.

Comment

Working...
                X