Battery safety. Any codes regulating battery location in public schools?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
    I would also be concerned about a classroom that has only one door and no windows, regardless of whether there are batteries installed outside the door.
    I can see such a room being designed for storage or other uses, but not as a classroom!
    I agree the location of those batteries should not be next to the door of a class room. If you look closely in that picture the sign next to the door says it is an Electric Room so it is not a classroom.

But that is an example of the type used at the school mentioned by the OP. So it is hard to know how the actual installation is done and where it is located. And while in some places a DIY can get away with just about anything I would presume that in CA any installation like that at a school would come under strict code enforcement.

I would also think that any school class room anywhere in the US would have more than one exit in case of a fire or blocked entrance. Unless the school was built back in the 1940's.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM. Reason: added last sentence.

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

I would also think that any school class room anywhere in the US would have more than one exit in case of a fire or blocked entrance. Unless the school was built back in the 1940's.
      With respect to original construction, I agree. My biggest concern would be taking a room not designed as a classroom and making it into a classroom when space got short.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

With respect to original construction, I agree. My biggest concern would be taking a room not designed as a classroom and making it into a classroom when space got short.
        I hear ya. School kids need a safe and clean place to learn in.

Here in Fl when they run out of class rooms they drag in modular buildings which look like small cabins with AC units hanging off the sides.

Comment

• Git
          • May 2016

lol

The picture the OP posted is a 'Green Charge Installation' - they won the 2015 Energy Storage North America (ESNA) Innovation Award

Green Charge’s California schools & Utilities Trust Program is a model for the future of grid scale energy storage deployments
          I think they know what they are doing....

http://cleantechsandiego.org/energy-...orage-project/

Cleantech San Diego member comopany Green Charge Networks, the largest provider of commercial energy storage in the U.S., will lead California’s largest school energy storage project with Grossmont Union High School District in San Diego’s east county region. The 7.4-megawatt hour energy storage deployment will be installed...
          Last edited by Git; 09-06-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Git
            lol

The picture the OP posted is a 'Green Charge Installation' - they won the 2015 Energy Storage North America (ESNA) Innovation Award

I think they know what they are doing....
            If the OP's installation was done by the same group as the one in the picture, then I agree that the safety of the battery storage system design is probably in good hands.
            I am still concerned about the OP's report of a classroom with one door an no windows. That would have been an existing hazard before Green Charge came on scene in the first place.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

If the OP's installation was done by the same group as the one in the picture, then I agree that the safety of the battery storage system design is probably in good hands.
              I am still concerned about the OP's report of a classroom with one door an no windows. That would have been an existing hazard before Green Charge came on scene in the first place.
              I agree. That type of classroom even without batteries close by would not be a safe place to teach children.

There should always be at least 2 or more exit points from an area depending on the number of occupants than would be normally in that space. Pretty typical for most fire codes.

Comment

• PNjunction
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2012

I'd be worried about vandalism - or maybe in this case just kids being kids turning the switches and possibly trying to shove pencils or smash a grilled cheese sandwich through the holes.

Yeah, I would have put this elsewhere if possible.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PNjunction
                  I'd be worried about vandalism - or maybe in this case just kids being kids turning the switches and possibly trying to shove pencils or smash a grilled cheese sandwich through the holes.

Yeah, I would have put this elsewhere if possible.
                  It looks like that picture shows that the batteries are outside an Electrical room. The room might have been originally designed with limited space and the solar and batteries added to the electrical distribution system with no place to install them inside.

They should have some type of fencing around them but it is hard to tell from the picture what type of protection is being used to keep unqualified people from getting to them. More than likely the electrical room door is locked but is that enough to keep someone from vandalizing the batteries?

Comment

Working...