Combining 6 & 12V batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining 6 & 12V batteries

I'm helping a friend with her houseboat. The solar panels and batteries have been in place since she bought it five years ago, driving an inverter and 12V distribution. There are four 6V CG2 batteries in series-parallel, and a smaller 12V deep-cell (Kirkland 12851) in parallel with all of them. We replaced the CG2s but the fifth battery is alsp weak. I wonder if the fifth battery, with much lower ampacity, is necessary. The system voltage seems to drop too quickly. At best, I'd guess the weak battery is dragging down the CG2s. My question is whether to replace or eliminate the smaller battery. The CG2 batteries are ~250 Ah each and the small battery is 75Ah.

Your guess is probably correct. A battery system should not be made up of different voltage or AH rated batteries. They should all be the same. That small 12volt is hurting the other 6volt system.

Comment

you do not mix old and new batteries, volt or AH rating. any week battery should be disposed of as soon as it is discovered. get the batteries appropriate for the application so it is never necessary to parallel wire any of the batteries.

Comment

Working...
      X