X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabookoo
    • Jul 2016

Conecting 2 separate systems to get 220v

Hello There!
    I have been living 100% off the grid on battteries and back up generator for 14 years now. I have a 48v battery bank with a sw4024 trace inverter that gives me 120v. I also have a 2nd exact same set up but the batteries are a different brand, age and size but still a 48v bank producing 120v.The 2nd system is currently not in use and my issue is I can't stack the 2 inverters due to the different battery styles. Can I run 120v line to one side of the main breaker box and the other 120v from the 2nd inverter to the othere side to give me 240v. If not how can I combine 2 totally separate systems into one to get 220v?
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jabookoo
    Hello There!
    I have been living 100% off the grid on battteries and back up generator for 14 years now. I have a 48v battery bank with a sw4024 trace inverter that gives me 120v. I also have a 2nd exact same set up but the batteries are a different brand, age and size but still a 48v bank producing 120v.The 2nd system is currently not in use and my issue is I can't stack the 2 inverters due to the different battery styles. Can I run 120v line to one side of the main breaker box and the other 120v from the 2nd inverter to the othere side to give me 240v. If not how can I combine 2 totally separate systems into one to get 220v?
    Sounds like a bad idea.

Is there any synchronization between the two?
    If not, you could have anywhere from 0V to 240V AC.
    It could even be 0V one minute (because they hapen to be perfectly in phase) and the next minute it could be completely opposite phasing and you'd have 240V.
    How you ask? If one is 59.99Hz, and the other is 60.00Hz, every 100 seconds they'll have their peaks at the same time, and 50 seconds after that, their peaks will be exactly opposite.

I think that you're better off doing two separate systems - one doing half the house, the other doing the other half and not trying to have any appliance/circuit that crosses the two. But you can do some searches on your specific inverter, seeing if there's any way to synchronize the two.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

To create 240VAC, you have to insure the 2 inverters are 180° out of sync.
      Generally, the inverters need to be of the same brand, and have a sync cable connected to them to accomplish this. That's the only way I know how to do it safely.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jabookoo
        Short answer - no.

Why can't you stack? Although the DC grounds need to be common on the two SW inverters, as far as I know the battery + does not need to be. You'll run into problems balancing the two systems, but it should still work at a basic level.

Comment

Working...