Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I store batteries then use them down the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I store batteries then use them down the road?

I live in Panama and we are totally off grid. My battery bank has 28 batteries and eventually will have to replace them.

I AM A NEWBIE AT THIS... I do not know much and I am cramming my brain to understand all that there is to living off grid, batteries and solar panels.

Q : Can I start buying batteries now, keep them in storage and then when it is time to replace all my batteries, use these as well as purchase the rest that I need?

I am trying to figure out ways to be easy on the wallet when the time comes.

Cheers

Ray

Unfortunately just about all types of batteries will still slowly lose capacity and reduce their life span just sitting waiting to be used. Even if you put them on a trickle charge and never cycle them they will not have the same life span or be able to provide the claimed cycle count a couple of years after you purchased them.

Besides it might be worth while to wait for the next generation battery to be available and purchase it when your old bank dies.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 05-27-2016, 09:20 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

probably a question for sunking but.......

when is the next generation battery technology going to come out? is there a rollout schedule?

Comment

Raymond first I assume you are talking about Lead Acid Batteries. They can be stored for up to a year but there are two catches.

1. They need to be placed on a Float Charger
        2. All batteries have a Calendar life and the clock starts ticking as soon as they come off the manufacturing line. In the case of Lead Acid as soon as they are activated by adding the acid which is either done at the factory or battery dealer. I live in Panama in Boquete north of David as a rretired Ex-Pat, and we don't have a lot of access to quality high end batteries that can last 5 to 7 years. Typically a 2 to 3 year battery. So with that Calendar Life in mind, if you store it for a year, you loose 1/3 to 1/2 your battery life.

However as Ex-Pats we can have good batteries shipped in and not have to pay Duty Taxes, just shipping charges. In David and Panama City there are some Trojan Battery Dealers where they stock T-105's, a few L16's, and can special order other models. Still expensive, but no Duty Taxes for Ex-Pats. In fact you can buy some decent 2-year golf cart batteries at Price Mart in David.

Sad news there is nothing light on the wallet with respect to off-grid now or in the future. Lead Acid batteries are the best bang for the buck today and for the foreseeable future. For panels, lead acid, and lithium prices have already bottomed out. Don't hold your breath waiting for the perfect battery, aint going to happen as there is no such thing.
        Last edited by Sunking; 05-27-2016, 11:36 AM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Raymond first I assume you are talking about Lead Acid Batteries. They can be stored for up to a year but there are two catches.

1. They need to be placed on a Float Charger
          2. All batteries have a Calendar life and the clock starts ticking as soon as they come off the manufacturing line. In the case of Lead Acid as soon as they are activated by adding the acid which is either done at the factory or battery dealer. I live in Panama in Boquete north of David as a rretired Ex-Pat, and we don't have a lot of access to quality high end batteries that can last 5 to 7 years. Typically a 2 to 3 year battery. So with that Calendar Life in mind, if you store it for a year, you loose 1/3 to 1/2 your battery life.

However as Ex-Pats we can have good batteries shipped in and not have to pay Duty Taxes, just shipping charges. In David and Panama City there are some Trojan Battery Dealers where they stock T-105's, a few L16's, and can special order other models. Still expensive, but no Duty Taxes for Ex-Pats. In fact you can buy some decent 2-year golf cart batteries at Price Mart in David.

Sad news there is nothing light on the wallet with respect to off-grid now or in the future. Lead Acid batteries are the best bang for the buck today and for the foreseeable future. For panels, lead acid, and lithium prices have already bottomed out. Don't hold your breath waiting for the perfect battery, aint going to happen as there is no such thing.
          Sun, is it POSSIBLE to purchase FLA batteries with no acid in them (or drain them) then add it when you plan to use the battery? I know distilled water is added occasionally. I also am aware that it is sulfuric ACID and there are issues with handling, etc.

How would an empty battery with no electrolye go bad?

Comment

Originally posted by joerossjr View Post

Sun, is it POSSIBLE to purchase FLA batteries with no acid in them (or drain them) then add it when you plan to use the battery? I know distilled water is added occasionally. I also am aware that it is sulfuric ACID and there are issues with handling, etc.

How would an empty battery with no electrolyte go bad?
            You can buy Dry Charge batteries, and the acid comes seperately and can buy you 6-months time until you activate them. That is what a lot of authorized distributors do. But be warned not something I recommend an untrained DIY try to do. The manufacture sends Acid, not electrolyte mixed with water. If you add water to acid, it explodes, well deflagerates is more accurate. You add acid to water in a very precise weight measurements.

Never Ever Drain your batteries or allow the plates to be exposed to air. Game Over.
            Last edited by Sunking; 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X