Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smily03
    • May 2015

Proper way of storing your hydrometer

I've been doing a lot of reading in the stickies and forums here, and recently picked up a Deka temperature-correcting hydrometer from my local Farm and Fleet based on Sunking's recommendation.

My question is - how do you guys store them when you're not using them? Is there a proper way to clean out/off the acid so that it doesn't get everywhere when you're done? (Eg., flush with distilled water, etc.) And, how do you keep it clean so that you don't accidentally get crud into your batteries?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Easiest cheapest way is store it in a tall drinking glass or jar. They also make a wall mount storage which is a Glass Drip Tube the rubber nozzle sits in a U bracket bracket to hang the hydrometer above the Drip Cup. Just find you a good tall drinking glass that is deep enough to just about fully hold the hydrometer except the bulb, then cover with a upside down plastic or paper cup.

To clean it, just use some distilled water, suck some in, eject, repeat a few times to flush/purge the acid out.
    Last edited by Sunking; 04-04-2016, 11:33 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

I use a glass soda or beer bottle, Rinse with distilled water and stand it in the bottle. If you are clumsy, make a base so the bottle does not tip over easily. Rinse with distilled before use,
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• smily03
        • May 2015

Awesome, thank you gentlemen I figured there was an easy way, but wanted to make sure I didn't screw this up

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by smily03
          Awesome, thank you gentlemen I figured there was an easy way, but wanted to make sure I didn't screw this up
          OK then use glass. If you want to screw up use plastic or metal.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• TommyDre
            • Aug 2015

My Deka hydrometer is over 13 inches long, the only drinking "glass" I have that can house that is one of my beer steins I brought back from my tour of duty in 1980's Germany. I was told using the spaghetti container wasn't appropriate. I took an 18 count egg carton and nip a divot in the lid and bottom on one end so that it closes completely around the glass tube keeping out crud and that now houses my hydrometer.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

How about a tall beer bottle, fill with distilled. ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...