Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smily03
    • May 2015

Weak cells and how they affect the whole string

Just a quick question to clear things up in my mind.

I've been planning out my project for a while, and have been reading the forms pouring through information to try to make as educated of a decision as possible.

Long story short, I know that I'm going to end up doing a 24v system, most likely with regular FLA (probably the T105RE's, but *possibly* some of the 2v Trojan cells if I magically find a pot of money somewhere that doesn't get earmarked for something more important like paying off the mortgage :P) Either way - my curiosity is - what happens if one of the batteries goes bad or becomes weak (whether from my own fault, manufacturing defect, etc.?) Is the whole string kaput, or can I replace just that one battery?

(I'm planning on doing a single series string, no parallel. Nothing overly special about the rest of the setup, <1500w 24v array, <1500w inverter, probably a Tristar MPPT charge controller. Basically a big complex project with a lot of things to think about that's really different than my "computer nerd" day job so that I can stretch my brain a bit, while providing some value for the family :P)

I'm just concerned that I'll have a nice big beautiful bank, and one problem child will leave me with 3 basically unusable 6v batteries or 11 basically unusable 2v ones.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

It is possible to replace a single cell in a series string as long as you plan to eventually replace that cell too at the time you replace the rest of the bank.
    Keep an eye on it to make sure that it is not getting overcharged and losing more water if it has a higher charging efficiency than the older used cells.
    If it is, you can probably just water it more frequently.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• smily03
      • May 2015

Awesome, thanks inetdog! That's what I was hoping to hear

Comment

Working...