Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerNS
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
    the maintenance charger you already own @1 amp will only maintain a 120ah battery, Period. the battery charger you propose to buy is only 4 amps and will take a sometime time to recover a 120ah battery, you can spend your money how you like. if you want a closet of inadequate parts for project$ long since forgotten
    Your saying it will take SO long to charge my battery with the 4 amp charger that I will forget about my project?
    Please, LOL

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by PowerNS
      I guess our definition of "damage" differs quite a bit, to me, damage means the battery will FRY, and a possible smoke show will ensue.
      That is only one side of the double edge sword, Over charging, and only occurs in less than 2% of battery failures.

The side of the sword you are ignoring is where 98% of all battery failures occur with Sulfated batteries caused by chronic Under Charging.

So the charger you have cannot possible over charge the battery and fry it, so no worries there you got that covered. It is what you are ignoring that will destroy the battery. I am OK with it so have at it.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• PowerNS
        • Feb 2016

I understand what you are saying, don't get me wrong, I just don't understand why the manufacturer of the charger says that it is good for batteries up to 120aH if in actuality it is not, and could harm your battery.
        Ironically, my battery is now fully charged after only 1/2 hour connected to the charger.
        Surprising.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

I understand what you are saying, don't get me wrong, I just don't understand why the manufacturer of the charger says that it is good for batteries up to 120aH if in actuality it is not, and could harm your battery.
          Ironically, my battery is now fully charged after only 1/2 hour connected to the charger.
          Surprising.
          The most likely conclusion to draw from what you describe is that one of three things has happened.
          1. Your "fully charged" indication is not valid.
          2. The battery was only very slightly discharged in the first place, or, most probably
          3. Your battery has almost no capacity left at this point and so has reached a "full charge" point which is not very far from the "fully discharged" point.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Logan005
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2015

maintenance and bulk charges are different. you need to reread all the stickys on battery's and charging stages.
            4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• PowerNS
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by inetdog
              The most likely conclusion to draw from what you describe is that one of three things has happened.
              1. Your "fully charged" indication is not valid.
              2. The battery was only very slightly discharged in the first place, or, most probably
              3. Your battery has almost no capacity left at this point and so has reached a "full charge" point which is not very far from the "fully discharged" point.

It looks like my battery was not that discharged to begin with, which is pretty amazing since it's been sitting inside since last May without being charged, but it has been in a room temp environment.

I connected a 1000W pure sine inverter, and have been running a fridge off of the battery for many hours now, and still it has not dipped below the low mark.

I'm guessing the battery is OK, and has the usual capacity as it always had, and it actually was fully charged after connecting it to the new charger.

Comment

• PowerNS
                • Feb 2016

I'm looking at the specs of this charger, it says that it "repairs" batteries that have been too deeply discharged, if it's supposed to have a feature to repair batteries, how could it be bad for a battery, even if the charging amps are too low??
                From the specs:
                • Brings batteries back to life; an advanced recovery mode repairs damaged areas of the battery to provide longer, healthier battery performance. Recovers deeply discharged and sulfated batteries with pulse charging.
                • Rapid Charging Technology; charges batteries 2X faster than traditional battery chargers, and a lightweight, compact design
                • The GEN Mini interactively diagnoses, recovers, and charges wet, gel, MF and AGM batteries from 20-120 ampere hour and maintains all battery sizes.
                • Recovery Applies a high-voltage pulse charge when low-voltage, sulfation or lost capacity is detected

Comment

• Logan005
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2015

you are currently discharging a battery you do not have the ability to completely recharge. good luck with it.

Comment

• PowerNS
                    • Feb 2016

I guess if that happens, I'll upgrade to the 10A charger.

Comment

• Logan005
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2015

that invoice will include a 10amp charger, a new battery and a Low level disconnect. your inverter will only audibly notify you when your voltage drops to 11 volts, most that do auto shutdown don't do so till 10 to 10.5 volts, long after battery is fatally damaged. your currently running PSW and refrigerator, I hope you are monitoring the voltage level. I would not allow it to drop below 12.2 volts.

Comment

• PowerNS
                        • Feb 2016

I never rely on that inverter voltage level display, or the alarm that sounds like a sick and dying criscket...lol.
                        I have a panel voltage meter wired directly across the +/- poles of the battery, and am watching it like a hawk.
                        I just sent an email to the manufacturer of the charger, asking them WHY they advertise the 4A charger is good for a 100Ah batter if it is not.
                        It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Comment

• Logan005
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2015

I really don't know what to say. ha, call emm, you haven’t listened to any advice given here. I expect better luck for them, as they are trying to sell you, will tell you what you want to hear. Again read the Stickys.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

I guess if that happens, I'll upgrade to the 10A charger.
                            By the time you notice will be too late.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• PowerNS
                              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
                              I really don't know what to say. ha, call emm, you haven’t listened to any advice given here. I expect better luck for them, as they are trying to sell you, will tell you what you want to hear. Again read the Stickys.
                              That's not true, I've totally listened to your advice, and I appreciate it. There is a difference between not listening, and questioning, aren't I allowed to question what is being told to me? If YOU had 2 conflicting bits of information coming from 2 different places, wouldn't you want something to back those claims up?
                              Especially when one of the sources of info is a legitimate long standing company with a good reputation.

I'm sure your right, the 10A charger is probably the better way to go.

Comment

• Logan005
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Nov 2015

I am glad you are listening. if you haven’t already, disconnect that refrigerator and put the battery on that 1amp maintainer and see if it recovers.

Comment

Working...