Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• series stringing and batteries total capacity

Hello
    I have an inverter which is V24. I also have 4 x 6v T105 trojan batteries. These batteries are 225 Ah each. I have to series stringing the batteries so that I achieve 24v for the inverter.

My question is, considering my method of combining the batteries will I only have 225Ah as an available capacity for my solar system? Or is it 225AH x 4= 900 Ah will be the available storage capacity for my solar system? if not then how does this work. How can I fully utilize the capacity of the 4 batteries

Originally posted by maxtshirt View Post
    Hello
    I have an inverter which is V24. I also have 4 x 6v T105 trojan batteries. These batteries are 225 Ah each. I have to series stringing the batteries so that I achieve 24v for the inverter.

My question is, considering my method of combining the batteries will I only have 225Ah as an available capacity for my solar system? Or is it 225AH x 4= 900 Ah will be the available storage capacity for my solar system? if not then how does this work. How can I fully utilize the capacity of the 4 batteries
    When wiring batteries in series the voltage adds up but the Ah stays the same.

Similar when wiring batteries in parallel the Ah adds up and the voltage stays the same.

Your 4 x 6v 225Ah batteries when wired in series make up a 24v 225Ah system which has a max rating of 24v x 225Ah = 5400 watt hours. You should be able to safely use 20 - 25% of that or ~ 1200 watt hours daily.

Wiring those batteries in series to make a 24volt system is IMO fully utilizing their capacity.

Comment

Series Voltage and Power Adds
      Parallel Current and Power Adds

Day 1 DC Principle 101 class.

So all 4 in series and you have 24 volts @ 225 AH with 5400 watt hour capacity.
      2 in series, in parallel with 2 in series (aka 2 x 2) is 12 volts @ 450 AH with 5400 wh capacity.
      All 4 in parallel is 6 volts @ 900 AH and 5400 wh capacity.

Simple 5th grade math.Well Graduate College level math in the USA, 5th grade math anywhere else.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Series Voltage and Power Adds
        Parallel Current and Power Adds

Day 1 DC Principle 101 class.

So all 4 in series and you have 24 volts @ 225 AH with 5400 watt hour capacity.
        2 in series, in parallel with 2 in series (aka 2 x 2) is 12 volts @ 450 AH with 5400 wh capacity.
        All 4 in parallel is 6 volts @ 900 AH and 5400 wh capacity.

Simple 5th grade math.Well Graduate College level math in the USA, 5th grade math anywhere else.

My initial 6 batteries are flooded type. however what if I add 2 x 50Ah ,AGM type, which is 12v and connect these two batteries in series so that I achieve the 24v for the inverter. Will the be okay?

And the rest of the trojan v6 x 225ah x 6 pcs string them in parallel and series string them the other 2 AGM batteries.will this maximize the capacity for the solar system.

Will this work out

Comment

NO

Do NOT mix battery types. If you don't burn something up, you will for sure destroy the weaker cells in the bank.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            NO

Do NOT mix battery types. If you don't burn something up, you will for sure destroy the weaker cells in the bank.
            But the thing is they all are brand new. Never been used yet. Both the flooded batteries and the AGM batteries as well.

Comment

Don't mix different size and type of batteries . Agm have different caracteristics to flooded and different amp capacity.

Comment

But the thing is they all are brand new. Never been used yet. Both the flooded batteries and the AGM batteries as well.
                Not our problem, it is your problem and you will learn an expensive lesson. AGM and FLA are not compatible.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Will this work out
                  Hell no.

If you put a 50 AH battery in series with 225 AH battery, then you have a 50 AH battery and lost 175 AH. It also means you just screwed yourself out of 77% of your capacity. You just filled up your tank and it leaked 3/4 of the tank out on the ground leaving you a 1/4 tank. Does that work for you?

If all you have is 6 x 6 volt batteries leave you only one usable battery configuration 12 VOLTS. You screwed yourself and you did it all by yourself. Loose two or buy two more. If you buy two more you would be well advised to wire all 8 in series for 48 volts. Never Ever parallel batteries unless it is necessary. It is never necessary to parallel batteries.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Naw, it's more fun to drain the mixed bank down and reverse polarity on the 50ah battery. Gee, the lights still glow a bit
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Hell no.

If you put a 50 AH battery in series with 225 AH battery, then you have a 50 AH battery and lost 175 AH. It also means you just screwed yourself out of 77% of your capacity. You just filled up your tank and it leaked 3/4 of the tank out on the ground leaving you a 1/4 tank. Does that work for you?

If all you have is 6 x 6 volt batteries leave you only one usable battery configuration 12 VOLTS. You screwed yourself and you did it all by yourself. Loose two or buy two more. If you buy two more you would be well advised to wire all 8 in series for 48 volts. Never Ever parallel batteries unless it is necessary. It is never necessary to parallel batteries.

What if I get additional 2x200ah flooded type batteries which is 12v. String them in series to achieve the 24v. The rest of the trojan 6v parallel string them with other 2 x200ah 12v. This way I get 200ah +900ah= 1100ah x24v= 26400 wat hours right. Will that work
                      By the way will the valve regulated lead acid be compatible with flooded batteries.

The other scenario is, what if I add another 2 trojan batteries which makes 6v x6 pcs and series string them. Will that make 36V.i think that will not be compatible with my inverter which is 24V. So what do u advise to do in this case.

Comment

Lesson 1. DO NOT MIX BATTERIES of different manufactures, makes, models, voltage, capacity, size, age, ect....

If you have Trojan T-105, then every battery SHALL BE a Trojan T-105 with identical DATE CODES.

Lesson 2. Never Parallel Batteries unless necessary. If it is necessary for redundancy purposes in a mission Critical System. limit it to 2 parallel strings. Solar is not Mission Critical. If you need 500 AH battery, buy 500 AH cells. Lead acid batteries can be bought anywhere from 5 AH to 10,000 AH. Now here is a battery. A Collins Class sub:

196033-1205004-collins-class-submarine.jpg
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Lesson 1. DO NOT MIX BATTERIES of different manufactures, makes, models, voltage, capacity, size, age, ect....

If you have Trojan T-105, then every battery SHALL BE a Trojan T-105 with identical DATE CODES.

Lesson 2. Never Parallel Batteries unless necessary. If it is necessary for redundancy purposes in a mission Critical System. limit it to 2 parallel strings. Solar is not Mission Critical. If you need 500 AH battery, buy 500 AH cells. Lead acid batteries can be bought anywhere from 5 AH to 10,000 AH. Now here is a battery. A Collins Class sub:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8094[/ATTACH]
                          Tell me what you think....I will make 6x 6v Trojan batteries as my power bank. Thus I will series string 4 batteries and thats to achieve v24 @225Ah. Now I will parallel string the other 2 so that I get 450 Ah. Over all I wil have 675Ah In total. How does that sound to u

Comment

Tell me what you think....I will make 6x 6v Trojan batteries as my power bank. Thus I will series string 4 batteries and thats to achieve v24 @225Ah. Now I will parallel string the other 2 so that I get 450 Ah. Over all I wil have 675Ah In total. How does that sound to u
                            Not going to work. Draw it out on a sheet of paper, +6v-|+6v-|+6v-|+6v- 4 batteries gives you 24V @225ah
                            +6v-|+6v- 2 batteries gives you just 12V @225ah
                            But there is no way to combine the 12V string with the 24V string

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                              Not going to work. Draw it out on a sheet of paper, +6v-|+6v-|+6v-|+6v- 4 batteries gives you 24V @ah
                              +6v-|+6v- 2 batteries gives you just 12V @225ah
                              But there is no way to combine the 12V string with the 24V string

Your right. We can not string 12v with 24v.

Ok I have 6 trojan T105 batteries. How can I string them to suit the inverter 24v?

Here is what I have in mind string 2 sets of 2 batteries in parallel. And string them in series with the remaining 2 batteries.

How does that sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X