Outdoor Battery box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Battery box

I have searched the forum and found only one title with battery box, but the construction technique was not what I was looking for.

I have found the following resources for making a battery box:
    http://www.homepower.com/articles/so...ery-box-design
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yNlzkAm6C1KKNA

Is anyone aware of any other good resources?

I would like the option of storing this box outside next to the "basement" under my cabin as I am short of storage space, but undecided. I do store gasoline cans in the basement and have an electric hot water heater and refrigerator in this space. So perhaps it is better to have the batteries outside? It could get into the 20s during the winter, but usually not prolonged.

I am looking at sizing this to take 4 Trojan T-105s.

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
    I do store gasoline cans in the basement and have an electric hot water heater and refrigerator in this space.
    Um, forgetting batteries for just a moment - your hot water heater and ideally your fridge should be elevated above the garage floor for a foot or so right? Gas vapors fall to the floor, and if those cans are leaky, and a spark from your heater or fridge motor go off ......

Comment

Old freezers make nice battery boxes. Just be sure and vent the lid at a high point.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
        Um, forgetting batteries for just a moment - your hot water heater and ideally your fridge should be elevated above the garage floor for a foot or so right? Gas vapors fall to the floor, and if those cans are leaky, and a spark from your heater or fridge motor go off ......
        The hot water heater is up about 18 inches and the fridge is up about 6 inches. I have been concerned about that even though the gas cans are the expensive metal ones and I cannot smell gas. I have only had them for about two months since I got the generator. Your comment has prompted me to re-think the storage. I was thinking about temporarily putting them in the outhouse, which I will do soon. And I guess it is time to build a shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
          Old freezers make nice battery boxes. Just be sure and vent the lid at a high point.

That's a good re-purposing. And the power cord can plug into the inverter?

Comment

Working...
          X