Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiFePO4_Only
    • May 2015

Best places to buy LiFePO4 batteries??

Hello, can anybody please recommend the best place to buy LiFePO4s in the 100 to 200ah size? I want to slowly but surely wind up with a bank of about a dozen large LifEPO4s. Thank yop
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Balquon has Winstons, I bought 8, 260 amp hr for $260 each, they then skinned me on the freight like $420 for hazmat shipping. Allow 12 weeks at least for shipping on any cell coming from China.

Comment

• LiFePO4_Only
      • May 2015

Ok thanks, i started out thinking that volts was where the high cost was at, i'm learning that it's the amp hours that really drives the price up

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

CALB is the best of the Chi-Coms and they can be purchased from EV Parts companies.

EV Souce
        EV Power
        Electric Car Parts Company
        EV Motor Verks This is where most DIY and Custom EV shops buy theirs from including me.

All of them sell most manufactures brands. Be careful with Winston as they are going to go bankrupt soon.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• LiFePO4_Only
          • May 2015

Awesome thanks a lot!!

Let me get this straight, a LiFePO4 is a LiFePO4 period. Is that true? I've been looking at the AH and Volts and price pretty much...for some reason I get nervous when I come across LiFePO4 'Car' batteries. Is there a certain spec that I better make damn sure I look at in order for it to be for solar? Or are all LiFePO4s good for solar, cars, etc? Thanks

Comment

• Willy T
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
            Be careful with Winston as they are going to go bankrupt soon.
            Post the source or more from your crystal ball ?? I hope they go quickly so I can buy some cells cheap.

Jun 10, 2013 - Battery maker Exide Technologies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection early Monday.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Willy T
              I hope they go quickly so I can buy some cells cheap.
              Well if what you say is true that you can buy 260 AH Winston cells for $260 is the Fire Sale liquidation price. That is 31-cents per watt hour. CALB is one of the least expensive ones out there and they go for 44 to 46-cents per watt hour.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by LiFePO4_Only
                Awesome thanks a lot!!

Let me get this straight, a LiFePO4 is a LiFePO4 period. Is that true? I've been looking at the AH and Volts and price pretty much...for some reason I get nervous when I come across LiFePO4 'Car' batteries. Is there a certain spec that I better make damn sure I look at in order for it to be for solar? Or are all LiFePO4s good for solar, cars, etc? Thanks
                LifeP04 (aka LFP for short) are NOT created equal. There are quality made LFP like A123 Systems Nano-phosphate cylindrical cells that cost $2/wh that have high discharge rates up to 10C. There is Enerdel that make high quality Large Format Prismatice cells for around $1/wh, and then there are the low quality Chi-Com Prismatic Large Format cells that cost 44 to 46 cents per wh. You get what you pay for.

Other than Chevy Volt there are no commercial EV's that use LFP cells because of Low Energy Densities. A LFP cell energy density is on the range of 80 to 100 wh/Kg, where say Lithium Cobalt varieties go up to 240 wh/Kg.

a DIY EV pretty much exclusively use Chi-Com Prismatic LFP cells because it is the only cells they can afford. They have to sacrifice range and some performance. Some are fortunate enough to find salvaged or factory reject EV batteries. There are a lot of Nissan Leaf batteries on the Salvage market. The first two or three production years Nissan discovered a heat issue problem with their batteries and had to change. They had 10's of thousands they salvaged as rejects, and those batteries went to re-sellers who bought them for a song and were selling individual modules for 25-cents per wh. Then there are also the wrecked EV in salvage yards. Just about every salvage yard has a waiting list for EV batteries. Get in line.

However for Solar Energy Density is not important, long cycle life and cost is the most important. That is where LFP batteries shine in the lithium world as they are the longest lasting, safest, and least expensive of al the Lithium types out there. You would not want to use a lithium battery made for an EV in your house that requires liquid cooling and a expensive BMS to keep it from catching fire.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Willy T
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2014

Well if what you say is true that you can buy 260 AH Winston cells for $260 is the Fire Sale liquidation price. That is 31-cents per watt hour. CALB is one of the least expensive ones out there and they go for 44 to 46-cents per watt hour.
                  No, I am a Liar according to you. Why would you believe anything I post. A picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe I photo shopped it, maybe I didn't.

ScreenHunter_1014.jpg

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

No, I am a Liar according to you. Why would you believe anything I post. A picture is worth 1000 words. Maybe I photo shopped it, maybe I didn't.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6740[/ATTACH]
                    I did not call you a liar. You made yourself out to be a liar caught red handed. If you can find Winston's that cheap then that is the liquidation fire sale. Winston battery was born to make batteries for a Fisker Karma to compete with Tesla. Of the failed Thundersky where Winston, Sinopoly and CALB come from , CALB is the only one showing a profit.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Willy T
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2014

I did not call you a liar. You made yourself out to be a liar caught red handed. If you can find Winston's that cheap then that is the liquidation fire sale. Winston battery was born to make batteries for a Fisker Karma to compete with Tesla. Of the failed Thundersky where Winston, Sinopoly and CALB come from , CALB is the only one showing a profit.
                      This wasn't you ??, Maybe someone else is using your name to call people names and make accusations.

Busted dude. You got caught in a big fat lie. You cannot keep up with your lies. In another thread you made and is a direct quote from you:

You are so busted and a liar.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

This wasn't maybe someone else is using your name to call people names and make accusations.
                        You did that all by yourself and got caught red handed. I just spotted it. You did not think anyone would notice. Not my fault you cannot remember your lies. That is how liars get caught. Here is your Sign, you earned it, now wear it proudly.

Are you stupid enough to keep bringing it up? Pull a Hilary, just ignore the lies you told and maybe it will go away.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Willy T
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2014

You did that all by yourself and got caught red handed. I just spotted it. You did not think anyone would notice. Not my fault you cannot remember your lies. That is how liars get caught. Here is your Sign, you earned it, now wear it proudly.

Are you stupid enough to keep bringing it up? Pull a Hilary, just ignore the lies you told and maybe it will go away.
                          Thats your second lie in two posts. How does this look to you ??

ScreenHunter_1017.jpg

End of the day

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Comment

• LiFePO4_Only
                            • May 2015

CALB is the best of the Chi-Coms and they can be purchased from EV Parts companies.

EV Souce
                            EV Power
                            Electric Car Parts Company
                            EV Motor Verks This is where most DIY and Custom EV shops buy theirs from including me.

All of them sell most manufactures brands. Be careful with Winston as they are going to go bankrupt soon.
                            On one of your links i started eyeing up this battery,

Do you think it would be a good idea (basically a good economical move vs other batteries) for me to buy 2 of these and wire them in series and have a 24 volt system? I gotta say that i'm attracted to the military grade durability of them!!

EDIT...
                            Well forget that idea it says do not use in series.

Why?? Can i wire 2 of them in parallel then? I don't get it i thought wiring in series was very preferred and safe? Damn it 2 military durable batteries would of looked so bad ass!!

Comment

• lifebattery
                              lifebattery commented
                              Editing a comment
                              winston battery works well, it doesn't bankrupt.i visited them on 29th Nov 2015.they are very busy and all workers works day and night to produce more cells because there are too much order.i have to wait 2-3 month for my order after i place order
                          • LiFePO4_Only
                            • May 2015

...Accidental double post

Comment

Working...