Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will7370
    • Aug 2013

Converting from deep cycle to gel-cell---need suggesstions

I'm a newbie subscriber here. I built a small solar power generator here a couple of years ago. I hope to take it camping with me once I get it perfected. I'd like some suggestions. I want to exchange the very heavy deep cycle battery which I presently use for something lighter. I've been told that gel-cells are lighter, but I know nothing about them. How do I find one that will substitute 1 for 1 with my deep cycle? Are they smaller? Do they come in different shapes? How much will one cost me? Where do I find them? Can I trade my deep cycle for one? Is there anything I need to keep in mind?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Robert
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Do not get a gel cell as they are not suitable for solar. Get a deep cycle AGM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• will7370
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      Do not get a gel cell as they are not suitable for solar. Get a deep cycle AGM.
      Is the AGM smaller or lighter than my lead-acid deep cycle?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by will7370
        Is the AGM smaller or lighter than my lead-acid deep cycle?
        Yes if you compare capacity to capacity
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by will7370
          Is there anything I need to keep in mind?
          A little more information might help:

What is the wattage and amperage of your solar panel? Open-circuit voltage and current under the brightest conditions you can get would be fine.
          What is the size of your current flooded battery?
          What type of charge controller are you using?
          How much power are you drawing daily when camping?
          Where are you located (generally is fine), or where do you intend to go camping? (for calculating solar-insolation hours, NOT sunrise-sunset hours)

It is hard to recommend just swapping out your battery for another one without knowing some of these parameters as the battery capacity depends on these things. You could easily be purchasing too much, or too little.

AGM's aren't hard to find, and for camping you may be able to find one locally with ease. However, if you do go this route, you need to make sure it is NOT an SLI-starter agm, but one that has the typical "dual purpose" or claims deep-cycling ability.

Comment

• LibbyShepard
            • Sep 2013

Same here

I was in the same dilemma few years back. Choosing between batteries is one of the trickiest job ever, thankfully I got referred to this product of deep cycle batteries by a friend and I must say that it worked very well for me. Recommended for all those needs including camping and hiking.

Comment

Working...