X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daz
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2012

Originally posted by SolarManAU
    Best battery for the price. These batteries are outperforming any other battery on the market in the same price range. In my experience working in the Solar and Telecommunications environment this is the best value for money. Proof me wrong. Go to web site for all the specs . The development of the battery was taken to another level, huge break in the technology and performance was made in the last two years. See also -
    Blah.....sounds like an advertising spammer to me....

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by daz
      Blah.....sounds like an advertising spammer to me....
      Actually we don't have to "proof" him anything right or wrong. This poor fellow has to prove to the world he is right.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunny Solar
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2012

I guess we used about 5kWH per dayI guess you didn't as it would take over 7hrs of midday sun to achieve that.

Comment

• AfricaAndrew
          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
          I guess we used about 5kWH per dayI guess you didn't as it would take over 7hrs of midday sun to achieve that.
          The 50 - 60 Amps was net into the batteries with a base load, refrigeration, some electronics, etc. 5hrs x the panel rating (in our case 1040W) is not an unusual daily expectation for the tropics.

Comment

• Sunny Solar
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2012

Originally posted by AfricaAndrew
            The 50 - 60 Amps was net into the batteries with a base load, refrigeration, some electronics, etc. 5hrs x the panel rating (in our case 1040W) is not an unusual daily expectation for the tropics.
            I dont see how your reply makes any sense.??

50 to 60a NETT into the batteries??? that's about a max of 3.6kwh at 5hrs. I dont see your panels putting out much more than that .. As you don't get full output over the 5 hrs. And NOBODY gets the panels rated output when used outdoors...
            And no matter where in the tropics you are you don't get full output from panels over 5 hrs.. I know I live 11 deg north of the equator.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
              I dont see how your reply makes any sense.??

50 to 60a NETT into the batteries??? that's about a max of 3.6kwh at 5hrs. I dont see your panels putting out much more than that .. As you don't get full output over the 5 hrs. And NOBODY gets the panels rated output when used outdoors...
              And no matter where in the tropics you are you don't get full output from panels over 5 hrs.. I know I live 11 deg north of the equator.
              It is back of the envelope calculations - just grabbing numbers from thin air.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• AfricaAndrew
                • Jun 2013

Ok then

Comment

• PNjunction
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2012

My biggest issue with lead-crystal is that it doesn't pass the over-the-counter test of being purchased locally by the average guy. If they are that great, then there should be no problem with *worldwide* over the counter distribution and support to the common man.

One competitor to lead crystal would be lead-graphite which I can obtain over the counter, which has been discussed ad-nauseum in the agm flavor-of-the-month.

Some manufacturers provide plenty of detail. Others only tout the advantages that all generic AGM batteries have over flooded cells. There might be indications that one can take them down to very low soc's and survive, but this is only nanny-protection from abuse, and a marketing bullet-point that doesn't mean much to those who engineer the system to operate properly for longest life.

I'd give lead-crystal a go if I wasn't so interested in Lithium-Iron (LiFepo4), but of course those are apples-to-oranges comparisons. Could it be just an issue of too-little-too-late?

Comment

• NuttyProfessor
                    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Beanyboy57
                    Hi All
                    I have just recently heard about lead crystal batteries and read the 'data' presented on some websites which seems too good to be true. Claims of 7/800 cycles to 80% DOD. Does anyone have information on this type of battery or has used them for an extensive period?
                    Cheers
                    Jon
                    We were contacted by a solar system installer recently who were responding to an enquiry i'd made last year about the feasibility of adding storage to my 3.4kWp 4 year old installation. They said at the time I enquired that they were awaiting availability of, and I quote "the release of a game changing new battery technology". Well this week they claim that this game changing technology from Europe has just become available in the UK for them to install. When asked what this new technology was, they said "lead crystal". OK. well I know the basic technology is not new, it was patented in 1979! So does enybody know what is new?

The company claims longer life (more cycles), deeper discharge without damage, and intrinsic safety (no fire risk)when compared with Li but so far I've been unable to verify all these claims. Can anyone out there?

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by NuttyProfessor
                      OK. well I know the basic technology is not new, it was patented in 1979! So does enybody know what is new?
                      Same ole crap in a new box looking for Green Pigeons to pluck.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• NuttyProfessor
                        • Mar 2016

Rather thought it might be. Anyone in the industry want to comment?

Comment

• mikeinchester
                          • Apr 2016

Hi I just joined this morning as I have had a similar experience to NuttyProfessor. I installed a 4kw system 3-4 years ago and was contacted by a solar company yesterday with basically two offerings. First the advantages of lead crystal storage but also a product described as a solartoptimiser which it was claimed would improve the efficiency of the inverter ( new one of course) from a current 80% to nearer 100%. On the high FIT rate in the UK this had attractions. I asked for independent verification of both their products and await a response. It was a "double gazing" style of presentation with probably prices to match. Does anyone have any experience or comments on the efficacy of these technologies and also what the costs of the components might be in order to qualify pricing. I don't want to dismiss it out of hand if there is worth in in it.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

They are looking for pigeons to pluck.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• lordy
                              • Mar 2018

Hi my name is lordy my exp with lead crystal batteries is 3 90amp batteries in a bank 480w solar x25amp 240v charger batteries cost $450 each didnt work batteries went to sleep took them back too reprogame them cant do with agm .problem is you need 1/3 recharge in capaside so =90amps so I will take off 1x90amp off bank witch means 60amp charger 1xmore 250 solar pannel=39amps keeping inmined we are in a motorhome have to top up with genie every know and then does anyone know how much 12v amps elec motor to run a60 amp alternater I dont like genies

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by lordy
                                .....we are in a motorhome have to top up with genie every know and then does anyone know how much 12v amps elec motor to run a60 amp alternater I dont like genies
                                And how do you plan to run the 12V electric motor, which I think you plan to use to spin a 60a alternator ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...