could anyone tell me how long a GENERAC APS-6.0 DC generator would take to charge ban

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by mark dix
    i dont understand on the genterator their is ahookup that says dc output?
    The manual will likely explain that is only for charging the starting battery
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• mark dix
      • Jun 2012

do you know were ican get a manual for this?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

do you know were ican get a manual for this?
        Have you tried Generiac ? Or look for a vendor on the web, and they often have manuals listed there. But just from the label, 27V 4A is only for the starter battery charger. You HAVE to use the main 6KW output, to run a large battery charger.

Unless you come up with a different question, you will keep getting the same answers.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Have you tried Generiac ? Or look for a vendor on the web, and they often have manuals listed there. But just from the label, 27V 4A is only for the starter battery charger. You HAVE to use the main 6KW output, to run a large battery charger.

Unless you come up with a different question, you will keep getting the same answers.
          I have already posted a link to a comparable Genrac manual, the only difference being 2.5kW instead of 6kW: http://www.scribd.com/anne_carpenter...-Owners-Manual. Ignore the 14KW in the link. That is not what it really is....

This is a 108 volt DC primary output, with an auxiliary 28 volt DC output. (The primary DC is actually 6 phase rectified, not smooth filtered.)
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mr.Lizard211
            • Oct 2015

can they be used like a regular generator?

its a generac 6.0 dc auxiliary power unit it was used for cell phone tower battery backup idk anything else about it,just figured out there are two leads coming off dc pos and two leads coming off dc neg so i can hook 4 batteries up to one and the other 4 batteries with the other.
            Can they be used to run a appliance like a regular generator?

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mr.Lizard211
              You are talking to ghost. The OP vanished 3 years ago. But to answer your question assuming the generator is sized correctly can run anything including a city or state. Or here in Panama a country.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mr.Lizard211
                • Oct 2015

lol

Originally posted by Sunking
                You are talking to ghost. The OP vanished 3 years ago. But to answer your question assuming the generator is sized correctly can run anything including a city or state. Or here in Panama a country.
                A ghost huh lol , cool just wanted to ask on that specific model cause there's a guy selling me a couple but said he wouldn't know what it would need to run appliances as they were used to charge batteries. So wanted to know how to go about it. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

A ghost huh lol , cool just wanted to ask on that specific model cause there's a guy selling me a couple but said he wouldn't know what it would need to run appliances as they were used to charge batteries. So wanted to know how to go about it. Thanks for the reply.
                  They can run appliances if the generator output is AC at the correct voltage. If the generator were a specialized generator for battery charging with only a DC output you would have to have DC appliances or use an inverter. But you would not necessarily need to have batteries. (Unlike running most appliances directly of PV panels without batteries or trying to run an off grid inverter without batteries. )

Comment

• Mr.Lizard211
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
                    They can run appliances if the generator output is AC at the correct voltage. If the generator were a specialized generator for battery charging with only a DC output you would have to have DC appliances or use an inverter. But you would not necessarily need to have batteries. (Unlike running most appliances directly of PV panels without batteries or trying to run an off grid inverter without batteries. )
                    Hey inetdog , so do I just wire the battery cables that were attached to the batteries straight to a power inverter? And will one of those 4k inverters from harbor freight work ? Thanks for the info.

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Hey inetdog , so do I just wire the battery cables that were attached to the batteries straight to a power inverter? And will one of those 4k inverters from harbor freight work ? Thanks for the info.
                      Yes and no. The very first thing you would need to do is find out what the regulated output voltage from the generator is AND whether it holds that voltage even with no load connected. If it does and your inverter accepts that voltage then a direct connection (with fuses if needed to protect the wiring) should work.
                      But I would never use an inverter from Harbor Fright. The quality is low, the inverter is probably not efficient or safe and is almost certainly not UL-listed.

And I have not seen any HF inverters that are meant to work with 110V DC as the generator in the original post described.
                      Since you are not the OP, I have no idea whether you are looking at the exact same generator or some other model with a different output.
                      So I will not give any advice or even suggestions without more information.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

No one can answer your question. That genny is made for 24 volt batteries @ 6000 watt output. All anyone can tell you is it will supply 6000 watts. At 24 volt battery is roughly 220 amps. So as long a your 24 volt gizmo does not require more than 220 amps, it will work. So you tell us if it will work or not. We have no idea.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mr.Lizard211
                          • Oct 2015

No one can answer your question. That genny is made for 24 volt batteries @ 6000 watt output. All anyone can tell you is it will supply 6000 watts. At 24 volt battery is roughly 220 amps. So as long a your 24 volt gizmo does not require more than 220 amps, it will work. So you tell us if it will work or not. We have no idea.
                          I have no clue and i know nothing about electrical or generators. I was trying to get info on how to go about it in layman's terms lol. I guess I just won't buy them. Thanks for all feedback.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

I have no clue and i know nothing about electrical or generators. I was trying to get info on how to go about it in layman's terms lol. I guess I just won't buy them. Thanks for all feedback.
                            I understand your confusion, but this is not hard if you can associate it to something you know. Generators have two specifications of Power and Voltage. Power is the most important spec and first thing you want know. In this case 6000 watts. Voltag eeis just a product of equipment requirements.

So if your load or device uses 10,000 watts is a 6,000 watt generator going to work? Or another way if al you have is $6000 for a new car, and the one you want cost $10,000. Will $6000 buy a $10,000 car. Hell no neither will work. Can you power a 100 watt light bulb from a 6000 watt generator. Hell yes as long as you do not go over 6000 watts.

Now if a 6000 watt generator will work, you now to need to select a voltage that meets the load equipment requirements. If you have a 6000 watt generator with 24 volt DC output has to be connected to 24 volts DC equipment.

The important spec is POWER. Voltage is just the end result of what the equipment needs to operate at. Just a matter of buying a 6Kw generator with the right voltage output because you cannot power 120 VAC equipment with 24 volt DC power. Or put another way if you buy a $6000 car from me, I will only accept $100 bills or 100 volts.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

Dereck,

Way back at the beginning of this thread I did a lookup of that model number. It appears to be a 6000W DC generator with 106V DC output. The 28V output is just for battery charging, probably for the starting battery.
                              6000W at 28V would be just as impractical for most people as 3000W at 12V.

Comment

• Mr.Lizard211
                                • Oct 2015

I understand your confusion, but this is not hard if you can associate it to something you know. Generators have two specifications of Power and Voltage. Power is the most important spec and first thing you want know. In this case 6000 watts. Voltag eeis just a product of equipment requirements.

So if your load or device uses 10,000 watts is a 6,000 watt generator going to work? Or another way if al you have is $6000 for a new car, and the one you want cost $10,000. Will $6000 buy a $10,000 car. Hell no neither will work. Can you power a 100 watt light bulb from a 6000 watt generator. Hell yes as long as you do not go over 6000 watts.

Now if a 6000 watt generator will work, you now to need to select a voltage that meets the load equipment requirements. If you have a 6000 watt generator with 24 volt DC output has to be connected to 24 volts DC equipment.

The important spec is POWER. Voltage is just the end result of what the equipment needs to operate at. Just a matter of buying a 6Kw generator with the right voltage output because you cannot power 120 VAC equipment with 24 volt DC power. Or put another way if you buy a $6000 car from me, I will only accept $100 bills or 100 volts.
                                Thanks Sunking , I understand that lol. I guess what I wanted to know is how to convert that dc power into ac power and what would be needed to do it. But I guess it will be easier to just get a regular generator. Only reason I was thinking about getting these is I was trading something I don't really use and they run off of propane but guess I'll stick to a regular one. Thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

Working...