Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janet l
    • Oct 2011

Using a generator with solar power..power surge

Hello - we are new to the solar/off the grid way of life. We recently (yesterday) installed a new bank of batteries (24 volt system; 4 - 6 volt batteries) In the past, we have used our honda generator to run the water pump. We did that this morning and managed to send a surge through our house, blowing out the tv and microwave. Was this caused due to a fully charged solar system, something we didn't have til now? Thanks!!
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

What you are saying does not make any sense. What does running a generator producing 120 VAc have to do with a 24 volt battery system?

Are you saying you connected the generator output to an inverter output?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• janet l
      • Oct 2011

surge

Let me rephrase - a surge of electricitry came through our system, knocking out our tv and microwave. I'm wondering if this occurred because we turned the generator on (it's connected to the solar batteries as the back up) when the battteries were fully charged. I'm assuming this was our mistake.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Has nothing to do with it. I assume you have a 24 volt battery charger connected to the batteries.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Generators and chargers are used all the time in off grid systems. I have provisions for 3 generators and 2 chargers. Should not be having troubles from a proper install. Things need to be grounded, and transfer switches / relays configured properly.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• john p
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2010

Mabe its just me But I cant work out if the generator output is 24v dc? or 120v ac??? All that is stated is that normally the generator powers the pump. ac/?dc?? but today the generator output was connected to fully charged batteries???. if the 12v ac was connected to the batteries im sure that would give an interesting result ??? especially if that went to the input of an inverter????

Comment

Working...