Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • br2an
    • Mar 2013

Charger recommendations?

Looking for a charger to charge 4 Rolls-550 batteries.

Flooded
    428 Ah ratings at 20Hour rate
    4 x 6V = 24V string

It will be connected to my generator and used mostly in fall-winter months for a cabin.

Can anyone recommend something in the 45 - 60 amp range that is dependable but doesn't break the bank?

Local dealer quoted an Iota 40A for $635 + tax Canadian.

Thanks,
    Brian

• Mike90250
    • May 2009

I was going to say Iota.
    What about a wheel mounted truck battery charger? are you able to manually shut it down, or does it need to operate 24/7 ?
    Attached Files
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• br2an
      • Mar 2013

Yes, the generator only runs as a backup and to charge the batteries.

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

If you look at RV chargers, Iota is the best option I found for what you’re looking for Iota is the best because they have modules you can get for the charging profile and battery the that you want. Also available is Progressive dynamics.
        What I found is that these RV chargers tend to be capped at 50 amps charge for a 15 amp outlet 120 VAC. Some do go more by ping or a 20 amp outlet or 220 VAC. I used one from Aims though.

I recently up graded my battery bank and added a Aims AC to DC charger that senses whether the system is 12 VDC or 24 VDC and will send 70 amps at 12 volts or 35 amps at 24 volts all through a 15 amp 120 VAC circuit. I know it works because I hooked it up to the generator and turned it on, but have not used it for cereal hours yet. If you decide to go with that, it probably is too much for your battery, but can amps can be dialed back to something acceptable with a rheostat. The AIMs does come highly recommended off another forum I am on.

I recently removed my RV charger and it was a 13.6 volt 65 amp charger, but I never got more than 10.5 amps out of it, which is perfect for a single regular deep cycle 12 volt battery the RV came with. THere must be some sort of internal adjustment to keep the amps down they set at the factory I could not see.

Comment

• br2an
          • Mar 2013

The Aims you're referring to is a bit small for what I want. 35A at 24V is below 10% of the C20 rating.

Does anyone know if the Iota 12V DLS-45 or 55 are isolated chargers?

Comment

Working...