Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefly Batteries -- Good as They Claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefly Batteries -- Good as They Claim?

Firefly makes some pretty stunning claims for its carbon foam AGM batteries. Is anybody here familiar with them? Can anyone verify the claims?

https://fireflyenergy.com/

I've had a few customers choose Firefly over conventional lead/acid batteries. So far so good, but its only been a couple years.
    They we're invented by a researcher from Caterpillar and became a spinoff company there in Peoria, Ill. But something didn't pan out and it was sold off to a company in India, where the production is now. Distribution is not that great and we had to buy them by the pallet. Not cheap either...
    I wasn't that thrilled with Firefly and have transitioned to forcing my customers into Li-ion batts
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
      I've had a few customers choose Firefly over conventional lead/acid batteries. So far so good, but its only been a couple years.
      They we're invented by a researcher from Caterpillar and became a spinoff company there in Peoria, Ill. But something didn't pan out and it was sold off to a company in India, where the production is now. Distribution is not that great and we had to buy them by the pallet. Not cheap either...
      I wasn't that thrilled with Firefly and have transitioned to forcing my customers into Li-ion batts
      Thanks for the feedback. After some additional research, it turns out that the most significant claim being made about Firefly batteries is, in fact, bogus. The claim is, "Depths of discharge to 80%-100% of rated capacity. This can be done without any permanent sulfation or loss of capacity." In reality, regularly discharging the batteries to 80% reduces the battery life from a minimum of 9000 cycles to 1000 cycles. Very disappointing.

https://www.morganscloud.com/2020/12...he-fine-print/

Comment

Working...
      X