Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4321loco
    • Sep 2009

What's going on with my battery bank?

I am a bit confused on my batteries. I am running a total of 8x 225A 12v Gel batteries in a 24v configuration. I decided to go 24v since I have a new 24v inverter and my 48v inverter died after 5 years of use.

I decided to wire 2 batteries in series and then parallel the 4 groups. The second group of batteries felt warm and my Fluke meter with IR camera showed 117F not sure about accuracy here.

The MPPT charge controller was showing 529 watts coming in at that moment. I decided to disconnect the 2 batteries and the wattage dropped from 529 to 90 watts on my controller.

The group that's getting warm or hot seems to be showing around 13.8v per battery while the other batteries are between 14.1v and 14.7v ( readings are while charging). I don't hear the batteries boiling off but 6 batteries are 88F and 2 are 117F.

The system was suppose to run off a 3kw array in the meantime but I am still in the testing stages.

• SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by 4321loco
    I am a bit confused on my batteries. I am running a total of 8x 225A 12v Gel batteries in a 24v configuration. I decided to go 24v since I have a new 24v inverter and my 48v inverter died after 5 years of use.

I decided to wire 2 batteries in series and then parallel the 4 groups. The second group of batteries felt warm and my Fluke meter with IR camera showed 117F not sure about accuracy here.

The MPPT charge controller was showing 529 watts coming in at that moment. I decided to disconnect the 2 batteries and the wattage dropped from 529 to 90 watts on my controller.

The group that's getting warm or hot seems to be showing around 13.8v per battery while the other batteries are between 14.1v and 14.7v ( readings are while charging). I don't hear the batteries boiling off but 6 batteries are 88F and 2 are 117F.

The system was suppose to run off a 3kw array in the meantime but I am still in the testing stages.
    My quick guess is that those 2 batteries are in poor shape and tend to draw the most charging amps which is why they are hot. Based on other input GEL batteries do not like a lot of cycles and maybe they have been hurt.

Comment

• nomadros
      • May 2018

I run GEL batteries (no option), they tend to be a bit "sensitive" and do not like having to cycle to any great depth (no more than about 0.4v slurp at 12v before recharge). Also, after a bit of a kicking, they may take days to sort themselves out and become "relaxed" again. As you're still in testing, why not degrade your system to a simple 24v set up and see what's what. I'd also switch off any inverter and give the batteries at least a few of days of peace and solitude under a constant sun otherwise their volt readings tend to be all over the place for ages.

Comment

Working...