The most efficient way to charge 2x 2v Lead A Leisure Batteries in Series with Solar?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bisk
    • Jan 2021

The most efficient way to charge 2x 2v Lead A Leisure Batteries in Series with Solar?

Hi,

I'm new to Solar and I am about to install a system in my shed for very small appliances.

I have purchased 2x30 watt solar panels and have the need to generate 24v for driving a Sine Wave Controller I already have.
    So I will arrange my model 12v 12ah batteries in series to make 24v

My question is?
    If I hooked up my solar panels in series then (through a Solar Controller naturally) the I could generate 24-36v input at 1amp
    Would it be more efficient to purchase another charge controller and charge each battery seperately (although still in series) with each 30w solar panel individually at 12v x 1 am

My reasoning is that there is still 24volts entering the charging system, but twice the amps this way?

Is this correct?...and have I missed something?

Thanks
    Nick
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bisk
    Hi,

I'm new to Solar and I am about to install a system in my shed for very small appliances.

I have purchased 2x30 watt solar panels and have the need to generate 24v for driving a Sine Wave Controller I already have.
    So I will arrange my model 12v 12ah batteries in series to make 24v

My question is?
    If I hooked up my solar panels in series then (through a Solar Controller naturally) the I could generate 24-36v input at 1amp
    Would it be more efficient to purchase another charge controller and charge each battery seperately (although still in series) with each 30w solar panel individually at 12v x 1 am

My reasoning is that there is still 24volts entering the charging system, but twice the amps this way?

Is this correct?...and have I missed something?

Thanks
    Nick
    In my opinion it would be more complicated to charge each battery separately and connect them in series then to charge them as a 24V system.

Depending on the CC you have will depend on how many charging amps you can get out of your panels. Although with a 24V 12Ah battery system you really only need about 1.5 amps of charging. What is the Imp rating of one of those 30watt panels? If it is less then 1 amp then you will have an issue charging a 12Ah battery system regardless of the voltage.

Comment

Working...