Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trojan RE vs others?

Hey Everyone,

I am ordering batteries and had picked the Trojan L16RE-B SOLAR SPRE 06 415 6V 377 AH BATTERY for $329 each. Then I found TROJAN L16P SOLAR SSIG 06 475 6V 428 AH BATTERY for $319 each.

An additional 51 a/h for $10 less.

Other than the difference in a/h I don't see what the difference is? Can you all tell me anything more about these two?

Btw: These are house batteries for my RV.

Thanks.

​​​​​​​S.

I would go with their SIND line.. The Trojan SIND bats are far superior to everything else except maybe a Rolls. They even put lithium down in some ways.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
      Hey Everyone,

I am ordering batteries and had picked the Trojan L16RE-B SOLAR SPRE 06 415 6V 377 AH BATTERY for $329 each. Then I found TROJAN L16P SOLAR SSIG 06 475 6V 428 AH BATTERY for $319 each.

An additional 51 a/h for $10 less.

Other than the difference in a/h I don't see what the difference is? Can you all tell me anything more about these two?

Btw: These are house batteries for my RV.

Thanks.

​​​​​​​S.
      Hard to say why the higher Ah rated are cheaper except like all things that are sold cheaper sometimes means they are clearing the shelves of slow moving items or a newer revision is coming.

Comment

Any info on the difference?

One is labeled "solar" and the other is labeled "RE".

Comment

Yeah I can tell you the difference.

SSIG series is an entry level battery with a 1 to 2 year warranty
          SPRE series is a mid range level with a 5 year warranty. They have more lead in them.
          IND is top of the line 10 year battery.

You want in order IND, SPRE, and last SSIG. As much as your wallet can afford.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Wow - just like counting lug nuts after an auto accident, the one with the most lug nuts nearly always wins.

in this case, the most weight wins.
            There may be a trade off between cheap cost and short life and high cost long life.

If this is your first install, use the cheap ones. Any mistakes you make, you destroy cheap batteries, not the expensive ones. After you get the cheap ones to last for 2 years, buy the expensive ones, or maybe there will be viable Li batteries by then.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              Wow - just like counting lug nuts after an auto accident, the one with the most lug nuts nearly always wins.

in this case, the most weight wins.
              There may be a trade off between cheap cost and short life and high cost long life.

If this is your first install, use the cheap ones. Any mistakes you make, you destroy cheap batteries, not the expensive ones. After you get the cheap ones to last for 2 years, buy the expensive ones, or maybe there will be viable Li batteries by then.
              Thanks for the suggestions. Not my first rodeo but I may follow your suggestions anyway. My NAPA GC-2's in my travel trailer turn 6 this year and they are showing a definite loss of capacity. I think that I will see how much life I can get out of the cheap ones and start saving my pennies for IND replacements down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Yeah I can tell you the difference.

SSIG series is an entry level battery with a 1 to 2 year warranty
                SPRE series is a mid range level with a 5 year warranty. They have more lead in them.
                IND is top of the line 10 year battery.

You want in order IND, SPRE, and last SSIG. As much as your wallet can afford.
                Thank you. That answers my question.

Comment

Also, Trojan said the IND and SPRE line come with Smart Carbon Technology.
                  https://www.trojanbattery.com/advanc...y/#smartcarbon

Comment

Thank you Everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X