Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morgandc
    • Feb 2015

Cables

According to Trojan they want you to use soldered and crimped battery cables... but can't provide a source... Does anyone have a good source for 10' 4/0 cables that meet that spec? for a Trojan SIND 04 1685.

Thanks,
    -Dwight
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Soldered? A lot of sources that I have read say do NOT solder because the solder creates resistance and a weak spot on the cable. I have a hydraulic crimper that does a great job. I have used it on 100 volt DC cables for an EV and had no issues.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

For such connections a good and well applied crimp with a fit for purpose tool is essential. After a GOOD crimp, soldering may or may not be called for depending on the application.
      If the crimp is indeed good, meaning safe and fit for purpose, soldering won't usually do much to decrease electrical resistance, and, depending on the connection, may create problems if the joint or cabling or both are subject to movement, particularly cyclic or vibrational. The key is a good crimp/joint design including pressure that, in effect, creates most of the same desirable electrical characteristics of a good pressure or cold weld.

Comment

• morgandc
        • Feb 2015

Just trying to follow destructions..... I guess the next question is a known good source that I can order for crimped, but thought everyone would find the discussion interesting. I did call Trojan....and they couldn't help with a source either.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP...Guide_0512.pdf

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by morgandc
          Just trying to follow destructions..... I guess the next question is a known good source that I can order for crimped, but thought everyone would find the discussion interesting. I did call Trojan....and they couldn't help with a source either.
          The connectors in those photos look small and that is probably why they suggest soldering. The ones I used, I get at welding supply places and occasionally find them at a home center. The sleeve portion is over an inch long and the wall thickness is thick enough that when my hydraulic crimper squeezes them they are very tight. They are a solid forging or casting and not a stamped piece of sheet metal like you often see at auto supply places.
          Last edited by Ampster; 10-15-2019, 11:34 PM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Xplode
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2016

I have to agree with Ampster. Those pics look like small gauge, low grade, crimps and wires. If you're dealing with larger gauges and properly/hydraulically crimped ends, they are a much higher quality and will not show heat like that. I would guess that those are cheap hand-crimped connectors in the pics in the pdf.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by morgandc
              According to Trojan they want you to use soldered and crimped battery cables... but can't provide a source... Does anyone have a good source for 10' 4/0 cables that meet that spec? for a Trojan SIND 04 1685.

Thanks,
              -Dwight
              I get that sort of stuff from Del City in Milwaukee, Wis. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...