How do I wire 4 12volt batteries so I have a 24 volt battery bank?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wiredOffGrid
    • Apr 2019

How do I wire 4 12volt batteries so I have a 24 volt battery bank?

Hello friends,

I can't quite wrap my head around this, but I found a diagram that shows how to wire 4 12volt batteries into a 24 volt battery bank, but I would really like someone that knows for a fact that it is correct to give it the thumbs up before I melt something on my brand new system...

All the way from Hawaii, thanks !! 4-12volt-batteries-Makes-24Volts.png
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The neg cable from the batteries is the Negative cable. It is NOT ground. It may be required to be connected to ground at some single point in your system.

AGM batteries are problematic to wire in parallel, even carefully matching cable lengths and verifying crimp resistance. Battery life will suffer. Using 6V 200Ah golf cart batteries will be a better choice when you replace them.

Running a 1500w inverter means you can expect surges of 3Kw. at 24v that's 125A. Your cables have to be GOOD and STOUT to handle that amperage and not droop voltage and cause the inverter to trip offline from under voltage.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

The illustration is a little misleading in that the parallel cables seem to show a tee branch coming off the cable when, unless you have access to a very trick cable maker, you will have to make the connections on the battery terminals. Stacking cable lugs on the battery terminals isn't the best practice. While not absolutely necessary for two strings of batteries, using buss bars would be a better approach. Buss bars will make connecting multiple loads easier and safer. Also remember proper fusing on all individual loads.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...