Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DougFisher
    • Jul 2019

Please help me decide batteries

I am about to pull the trigger on a new battery Bank.

I've come down to two choices the European tubular two volt cell batteries. Or a direct replacement of the rolls surrette L 16s that I currently have.

It would be 12 of the tubular 2 volt cells equaling 24 volts, or four of the L16s by rolls 4000 series s-530

the difference in price is $2,700 for the tubular cell batteries and $1,600 for the rolls. The tubular cell batteries are almost 864 lb whereas the rolls would be around 400 pounds for the same ah.

Not exactly sure of the solar panel wattage but it looks like three normal size solar panels Magnum inverter Outback PV controller. Supplemented by a Honda generator.

The tubular European batteries are more robust does anyone think I should stay away from them?

thank you!!!

Attached Files
  • DougFisher
    • Jul 2019

I made a pros-and-cons list just having trouble justifying the additional $1,100 for the top of the line tubular cell industrial type batteries

1. Tubular european wet batteries $2700

860Lbs total
    72 lbs each x 12

Cons
    -heavy
    -Most expensive

-Must still be diligent with charging
    -severe discharg could take 24hrs to bring back. Slower to charge because of the thicker plate material in a severe discharged state.

Pros
    -Most robust plate material

-If maintained, longest life
    -10 year warranty, 3 year full replacement
    -tall and narrow less floor space
    -Can handel more abuse
    -single cell batteries, individual cells replaceable
    -in stock

2. Exact replacement Rolls L16 $1600 S6 L16

416lbs total

117 lbs each x 4

Cons
    -Shorter life expectancy 8 years
    -Abuse is not tolerated
    -thinner plate material

Pros
    -warranty 3 year full replacement
    -Better price
    -tall narrow design less floor space
    -made in Canada
    -in stock

Comment

• DougFisher
      • Jul 2019

A bit of History.

This is a completely off-grid summer type cabin. There is a maintenance person who will now check the SG bi-weekly and charge it if necessary in the winter months. The previous set of rolls surrette batteries lasted 8 years with the last 2 years having troubles. They were being undercharged and drawn down in the winter months. This will not be the case ever again. I plan on having these batteries for 10 years at least, hopefully?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

> This is a completely off-grid summer type cabin

Go with the Rolls L16 battery. You don't NEED the extra thick plates, and while they are 2V cells, you need to make and maintain many more interconnects.

batteries go bad from poor maintenance. Don't confuse the poor custodian with having to learn a new technique for expensive batteries.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DougFisher
          • Jul 2019

Thanks Mike, The maintenance person is the one who researched and suggested the two battery types. He's confident taking sg readings and charging batteries. Unfortunately he's new so wasn't around when my last set kicked it in after 8 years. I'm sure we can make new L16's go for 10 years with proper charge management.

I guess what I want to know is if the more industrial type heavier duity batteries might last 15 years with proper care.

The 2 vdc cells have sealed ip6 rated connections, so that should help. I get what you are saying though! All those connections sound like a nightmare near a marine environment like here.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

One question I have (and I understand mixing battery ages is not a smart thing to do) but should you lose one of the batteries in the set how quickly could you get a replacement?

Which is more available, the European or the L 16's?

Comment

• DougFisher
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle
              One question I have (and I understand mixing battery ages is not a smart thing to do) but should you lose one of the batteries in the set how quickly could you get a replacement?

Which is more available, the European or the L 16's?
              A supplier here in Vancouver BC Canada has the 2v cells made under the name HUB and stocks them. He swears they are the best... but every store promotes what they sell.

I wanted an unbiased opinion is why I'm asking on a forum.

Comment

• DougFisher
                • Jul 2019

The rolls L16 are readily available also.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I have no experience with either battery but if it was my money I would go with the L16 and do my best to get as long a life as possible.

You might (or not) get a little more life out of the 2V units but is the $1100 worth the extra lifespan?

Comment

• DougFisher
                    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    I have no experience with either battery but if it was my money I would go with the L16 and do my best to get as long a life as possible.

You might (or not) get a little more life out of the 2V units but is the $1100 worth the extra lifespan?
                    Thanks SunEagle, I'm leaning more towards the L16'S as well.

Comment

Working...