Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Pro Shops XPS Power Series 12-Volt Marine Deep-Cycle 175 Battery

Good Evening,

I wanted to get a better battery to go with my Renogy 50 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit and just purchased a Bass Pro Shops XPS Power Series 12-Volt Marine Deep-Cycle 175 Battery from Cabela's. There is some missing and conflicting information and I was hoping you could help me better understand so I do not trash this battery.

First, what kind of battery is this? The label and product description are lacking details. I know it is flooded and a deep cycle, but that is about it.

Second, under the product questions section of the product page, Bass Pro Shops representatives indicate this battery will periodically need to be refilled with distilled water. However, I do not see the traditional caps on the battery, or see where water would go in. Does this truly need water?

Third, I "upgraded" to a PowMr Solar Charge Controller 20 amp and the default battery type is 601. Is this the correct setting for my new battery? Of course, the instructions are crap on this thing.

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance.

Capture.PNG

That looks like an ordinary flooded deep cycle battery. There are 2 "caps" on it, each cap covers 3 cells

For charging, I suspect it's a pretty generic deep cycle/marine battery, looks like interstate with a different label. If your charger has a flooded deep cycle setting, that should work

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

What are advertised as "maintenance free" batteries, mainly for cars, are ordinary FLA batteries with some extra electrolyte capacity before the tops of the plates get exposed, and with vent caps that are set flush with the battery top, making them quite hard to open. If you overcharge the battery regularly you will still have to pry open the caps occasionally to top off the electrolyte with distilled water to make up for water lost to electrolysis (sometimes incorrectly called boiling.)
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
      X