Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marwin
    • Jan 2019

MPPT Settings Help Please

Can someone please help me with what all the correct settings should be on my Charge controller for this setup:

Tracer 4210an mppt charge controller
    2x Trojan 27tmx deep cycle 12V in paralel
    2x 150 solar arrays

i set the controller to factory default and then switched To "flooded" as type - but that's all I changed and I'm sure there are other number I should change in there.

I'm new to this and need help with proper settings
    I had someone set it for me before and all was working fine
    but after I did the factory reset I'm seeing little glitches here and there - especially with my MaxxAir fan going in and off which I think may be a result of this wrong setup in my settings

i appreciate any help.
    step by step would be appreciated - I have one of those little control boxes linked into my charge controller where I can change these settings.

thanks again for help
    marty
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Marty, Welcome to the forum. Not having your exact controller I don't have hands on experience with it. I doubt you would hurt anything by getting into the menu and scrolling around. The default reset numbers may be fine for your small system. Your panels should be series wired to get the incoming voltage higher than 12 volt nominal. You might want to check out your Trojan batteries for their recommended charging parameters and set those numbers into the controller as Trojan batteries usually have slightly higher than normal voltage requirements..
    Last edited by littleharbor; 02-13-2019, 11:53 AM.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• marwin
      • Jan 2019

I'll post all my current settings here in a bit --
      i forgot to do that and will help with this post

Comment

• marwin
        • Jan 2019

My current settings:

Batt type: Flooded
        Batt AH: 200AH
        Equalize time: 120min
        Boost time: 120 min
        low volt disc: 11.1 v
        discharge limit: 10.6
        under volt rect: 12.2v
        under volt warn: 12.0v
        temo comp coeff : -3mv / C / 2V
        Rated voltage : auTo
        over volt disc: 16.0v
        charge limit: 15.0 v

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Your current settings don't really matter, it's what are the battery Mfg recommended settings that are needed, and then you program your controller to meet that.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• marwin
            • Jan 2019

I have visited the Trojan website and have been going over documentation but I can't see to find the proper settings.

If anyone knows or can help me more specifically with the settings I have above - I would greatly appreciate it.

I will read up and learn more over time as I now am getting my feet wet with solar power - but I dont want to ruin my batteries or system at all - and I am afraid that I have some settings wrong. My Fan keeps turning off and on - and I think it may have to do with what I changed in these settings.

Thank again very much for any help with what these numbers should be - or - a direct link to where I can find this information - because I have been looking all day and still nothing ,

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

Have you looked at the batteries for that info?

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Also, I don't see the Bulk/Absorb and float voltages listed in your numbers. Regularly for flooded batteries you would see something like 14.7 and 13 .6

Comment

• NorthRick
                  • Aug 2015

The attached file lists the specs, including charging voltages for your batteries. Those are what you need to set your charge controller to.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• marwin
                    • Jan 2019

Thanks guys !

As I learn more - hopefully I can help someone else !
                    I looked at most the other downloads there at Trojan - missed this "data sheet" .
                    I will research more into all those other settings.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

The controllers preset for Flooded Deep cycle should be pretty close, at least for the first month or 3 till you figure it out.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...