Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevenshayne
    • Dec 2018

Best batteries for the money

I live off the grid. I have lived off the grid for 10 years. 5 years ago I finally got some solar panels that weren't Harbor Freight. I'm running about 2750 watts. 4 1/2 years ago I bought 10 used AGM batteries that were previously parts of a battery backup system at a local University. They are now on their last leg. I can't get any more from that source. So I have been looking online at AGM batteries 100 amp hour and two hundred amp hour. I was looking at Apex until I read a review that was very discouraging. I am also looking at UPG and other brands. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I would like my batteries to last at least 5 years. I'm running lights a very conservative mid-size fridge and of course my television. I don't see a point in spending twice as much for Trojans. If anyone has had good or bad experiences with the less expensive brands please let me know thanks.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello Stevenshayne and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I can tell you that AGM type are a lot more expensive then FLA type. The FLA may even last longer depending on the quality and how low you discharge them daily.

IMO it is worth getting something like the Trojans T105. They will last longer then a cheap AGM.

Comment

• Stevenshayne
      • Dec 2018

I have two reasons for wanting agm batteries. One is that my power is in a non-vented room in the middle of a building. The seconds and this is really the more important reason to me is that I'm not great at maintenance. I've screwed up fla batteries in the past overfilling, not checking on them Etc. I would rather spend a little more on agms and get 5 years of not worrying about them at all them by f l a batteries and screwing them up a few years in. I definitely understand the appeal of f l a batteries but I'm not going to be checking them twice a year. Also with the AGM I can store them in a vertical rack on their sides EZ wiring easy access. Thanks for the suggestion though

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

There is no free lunch with batteries. The best value though is the more expensive types as they will last longer and be less hassle. Don't be cheap.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
          There is no free lunch with batteries. The best value though is the more expensive types as they will last longer and be less hassle. Don't be cheap.
          The old adage "Buy cheap - Buy twice" seems to apply here. OTOH, if the OP got 5 yrs. out of the current (and acquired used) batteries, some cost/benefit analysis might be worth the time before investing.

Comment

Working...