Battery configuration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery configuration?

What is the best cost effecient, battery configuration to achieve a 24V 400AH battery bank?
    If anyone has any brands in mind, please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by HalfWatt; 10-22-2018, 01:10 AM.

eight 6V 200ah golf cart batteries, wired in 2 parallel strings of 4, should be under $1,000 including interconnection cables.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks Mike.

I was thinking i was going to use (3) 300w 24v panels to equal 900w. 9.78A (isc) 9.33(Imp). So ill be using them in parallel. Should i go with 8Awg for a 25ft run back to the charge controller or is 10 good? Also if a different solar panel configuration is better lemme know.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HalfWatt View Post
        Thanks Mike.

I was thinking i was going to use (3) 300w 24v panels to equal 900w. 9.78A (isc) 9.33(Imp). So ill be using them in parallel. Should i go with 8Awg for a 25ft run back to the charge controller or is 10 good? Also if a different solar panel configuration is better lemme know.
        Thanks!
        You would be better off using a 60amp MPPT charge controller that will accept the DC voltage that those panels wired in series would produce.

900 watts should get you almost 37amps for a 24v battery system.

Comment

Im using the outback FM-60 charge controller. So your suggesting to step the voltage down, created by putting the panels in series to charge my 24v battery bank?
          Thanks for the help!

Comment

Im using the outback FM-60 charge controller. So your suggesting to step the voltage down, created by putting the panels in series to charge my 24v battery bank?
            Thanks for the help!
            The best way to wire panels to an MPPT CC is in series up to the maximum DC input voltage. It reduces the wire size between the panels and the CC as well as eliminates the need for overcurrent protection for each parallel "string". As long as the input voltage is about 8 volts above the battery voltage the CC will provide the correct charging amount.

Comment

So my CC is rated up to 150vdc. The input volts from my solar panels in series will be 72v. My battery bank is planned to be wired up for 24v. Will this work?

Comment

So my CC is rated up to 150vdc. The input volts from my solar panels in series will be 72v. My battery bank is planned to be wired up for 24v. Will this work?
                It sounds like it should work. Just make sure you have the correct voltage for each panel. That would be the Voc rating times 3 not just 24V times 3.

Comment

Working...
                X