Battery selection advice 48v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery selection advice 48v

Bought an off grid house with a gnarly Outback controlled 48v system. Panels and control/charging system are in great shape, Batteries are dead: (8) Trojan SPRE 06 415.

I am thinking of going AGM as I will be at the house every two months and I am worried about maintenance (that's how the owner killed these 8).

Pros & Cons of going AGM
    Pros & Cons of going with (4) 12v instead of (8) 6v

thanks

Pro for AGM - can accept a faster charge rate then FLA, can be stored in any position, self discharge is less then FLA.
    Con for AGM - cost more then FLA and you have no way to measure the Specific Gravity of each cell which is the only true way of knowing the SOC.

Pro of 6V - You can get them in higher Ah ratings then a 12V battery.
    Con of 12V - it would be hard to find a 12V above 150Ah which would require you to wire them in parallel to get the Ah needed.

There are other factors but those are the ones that come to mind.

Comment

230ah? https://www.altestore.com/store/deep...CRW12CRV230AGM

Comment

I stand corrected. I see they do make 12V batteries with a rating above 150Ah. But can you lift it?

I guess you have to do the math and see if a 12V 230Ah battery is cost effective compared to 2 x 6V 230Ah batteries.

Comment

I'm a novice SunEagle. I think the only way for me to get into the 390-400ah arena is to go with 8 6v batteries. I'm just trying to figure out the simplest and most cost effective manner. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and go 6v.

AMG if I can afford it??

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyh View Post
            I'm a novice SunEagle. I think the only way for me to get into the 390-400ah arena is to go with 8 6v batteries. I'm just trying to figure out the simplest and most cost effective manner. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and go 6v.

AMG if I can afford it??
            I would compare the costs of those AGM to either a Rolls or Trojan FLA type and see which is cheaper and longer lasting.

Comment

Working...
            X