Ok to use generator's 240V connector to charge our batteries? How about eco mode?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron_jeremy
    • Jul 2017

Ok to use generator's 240V connector to charge our batteries? How about eco mode?

We've been using the 3-prong 120V 30A twist-lock connector to charge our batteries (off-grid) when we have extended periods without sun. I'm wondering if a generator with a 240V (4-prong) connector of similar power could be used to charge the batteries faster? If so, do I need to make any system changes before using 240V to charge?

We have 12 x 2V (960AH C/20 each) lead acid batteries connected to a Trace Engineering SW4024 (24V) power station.

Also, is it ok to use a generator's 'eco' mode function when charging batteries? I'd love to hear less noise from our garage when the genset is doing its thing.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I've just rigged up a eu2000 to an auto transformer and am keeping my house alive while I refresh battery electrolyte, and eco mode is working great
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JSchnee21
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2017

Hmmmm? The maximum DC charge rate for your battery string(s) would be determined by the capabilities of your charge controller. Similarly, your charge controller may or may not support 240V input versus 120V input. Assuming it does support both, the DC Wattage out (charging voltage and current) may (or may not) be a function of AC Wattage in (generator voltage and current). Does the charge controller let you configure the DC charging current?

Assuming this manual is relevant to your charge controller

It seems like a very configurable unit. If it is currently set for a reduced AC input or reduced DC charge rate due to insufficient current/wattage coming from a single hot leg input, then yes, supplying with 240V (two hot legs) and re-configuring these parameters might decrease your charging time -- up to the limits of the charge controller.

Depending on how close your generator is to the charge controller, running a 240V line might reduce voltage drop for longer runs (>50 feet) as the current is split across two hot legs versus one. But assuming a reasonable distance and properly sized conductors this may only be a very minor effect.

Comment

Working...