Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can a inverter/charger replace an existing converter/charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a inverter/charger replace an existing converter/charger?

in my 5th wheel i have added two L16 6v batteries in series. The charging specs per the manufacture is 14.8v for both bulk and absorption. However the built-in converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics PD4575) charging profile is 14.4v bulk and then drops to 13.6v for absorption. I'm looking at adding a Xantrex inverter/charger that has ability for a custom charging profile to meet the batteries charging specs. Do I leave the existing converter/charger in place or does it need to come out. It's a separate component to the overall Progressive Dynamics power center, and can just be removed. If I do that, all the 12v loads will come from the batteries even when connected to shore power??

I'm assuming the Xantrex will kick on to keep the batteries fully charged when 12v loads occur. Doing it this way seems to force all 12v loads when connected to shore power to have to pull from the batteries vs. being satisfied by the existing converter.

Any issues with putting 14.8v into the trailers 12v wiring harness and thus to all 12v components, like control panel, fans, slide-outs, lights, etc. while charging???

Does wanting to add solar panels on the roof in the near future have any impact on this solution?

Originally posted by dorff View Post
    in my 5th wheel i have added two L16 6v batteries in series. The charging specs per the manufacture is 14.8v for both bulk and absorption. However the built-in converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics PD4575) charging profile is 14.4v bulk and then drops to 13.6v for absorption. I'm looking at adding a Xantrex inverter/charger that has ability for a custom charging profile to meet the batteries charging specs. Do I leave the existing converter/charger in place or does it need to come out.
    Unless you need a boat anchor get rid of it.

I'm assuming the Xantrex will kick on to keep the batteries fully charged when 12v loads occur. Doing it this way seems to force all 12v loads when connected to shore power to have to pull from the batteries vs. being satisfied by the existing converter.
    You assumed wrong. If connected to Shore Power, all power comes from Shore Power. That is what you want. Shore Power will supply all power through the charger and charge the batteries at the same times. Exactly what you want.

Any issues with putting 14.8v into the trailers 12v wiring harness and thus to all 12v components, like control panel, fans, slide-outs, lights, etc. while charging???
    None

Does wanting to add solar panels on the roof in the near future have any impact on this solution?
    None. When you are one Shore Power, the panels and controller collect dust. Exactly what you want.

Last edited by Sunking; 04-13-2018, 08:16 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Sunking thanks for the reply. Let me double check this one issue as I'm getting different feedback elsewhere. The trailer is on shore power, the batteries are fully charged in which case the Xantrex inverter/charger is supplying zero amps to the batteries. The other feedback I'm getting believes that when a 12v load is turned on, its feed by the batteries, and the Xantrex only "wakes up" when it detects that the batteries need a charge based upon a voltage drop. The way I have read your post, you are saying that when that 12v load is turn on, the Xantrex wakes up and supplies the 12v load without any drain on the batteries.

Comment

Hi Dorff, I am very curious if you found an answer to your question?

Comment

I have the Xantrex FreedomHF 1800.
          What I am trying to understand is if this unit outputs 12v to power 12v lighting and accessories directly? If so, should I connect these accessories to the battery? How would this unit then provide proper charging to the batteries if there is an additional load?

Another way of asking my question is...does an inverter/charger replace a converter?

For example, if I am plugged into shore power and my battery is full, what are my 12volt accessories being powered by?

Comment

Working...
          X