AC Charger for 2x 6V Batteries in series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Charger for 2x 6V Batteries in series

I have a quick question on charging 2, 6V Interstate Golf Cart batteries (I believe they are 205 amp/hr) wired in series for 12V. They are running a 12V water pump and I will possibly do some 12V lighting. Due to permitting circumstances I can't put in solar yet so will be charging the batteries with a generator only. I have a 2800 watt Honda.

From what I have read I should be using a 20 amp AC charger to top up the batteries but I can't seem to find one anywhere. I spoke to someone at Iota and he suggested a 30 amp, but to me that sounds like it will cook my batteries. Other than that their next option lower is 15 amp. Does anyone know of a good 20 amp AC charger or have input on 15 vs. 30 amp Iota chargers for my situation?

Thanks in advance!!

30 amps is no problem, and there are a lot of models out there to choose from. Anything from 15 to 30 amps is fine and you want to use as high of a current as you can afford to minimize genny run time.

Start thinking outside the box. RV and Marine have a mind boggling array of 12 volt battery chargers out there. Additionally there is no reason to pay up for smart chargers for your application, just 15 to 30 amps @ 14.6 volts will work just fine. Whatever you can afford. Iota is good if you want to pay up, but not required and does not gain you anything of significance other than show and tell.

Go Google 12 Volt Marine Chargers and you will get over 800,000 hits.
    Last edited by Sunking; 04-08-2018, 12:19 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      30 amps is no problem, and there are a lot of models out there to choose from. Anything from 15 to 30 amps is fine and you want to use as high of a current as you can afford to minimize genny run time.

Start thinking outside the box. RV and Marine have a mind boggling array of 12 volt battery chargers out there. Additionally there is no reason to pay up for smart chargers for your application, just 15 to 30 amps @ 14.6 volts will work just fine. Whatever you can afford. Iota is good if you want to pay up, but not required and does not gain you anything of significance other than show and tell.

Go Google 12 Volt Marine Chargers and you will get over 800,000 hits.
      What he said.

Since you are charging from generator, you have decide how to burn your $$, Run the generator an extra hour in fuel costs to complete ABSORB,
      or shut it down after BULK and save fuel, but slowly kill batteries by only charging to 80% each time.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Great guys thanks for the advice! I have definitely seen a lot of options under marine chargers but most that appear any good are around the same price as Iota. I think I will just go with the Iota 30 amp as the quality seems to be high and I will be using it in a very humid area.

Once again the help is much appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsun View Post
          Great guys thanks for the advice! I have definitely seen a lot of options under marine chargers but most that appear any good are around the same price as Iota. I think I will just go with the Iota 30 amp as the quality seems to be high and I will be using it in a very humid area.

Once again the help is much appreciated!!
          You are welcome but consider Iota is not made to operate in Tropical Climates like a Marine product is. Yes Iota is good, but not hardened (epoxied) like a quality Marine product. Think about it and good luck.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
          X