Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spore33
    • Feb 2018

Batteries not reaching Absorption or Float stage

Hi all, I am completely new to this and I think I do have a long way to go I will try to explain in details as much as possible

My system is Victron Quattro 48v/8000va/100a with Hawker forklift lead acid 625ah batteries, I struggle to get the batteries to Absorption or float stage always stuck in bulk I had to stop the battery from charging after about 8 to hours afraid of frying it up and I can also notice the battery is getting a bit hot.

I have checked the individual batteries with hydrometer and they all look absolutely fine. During charge I can see 57v and when I disconnect the batteries from charging they are showing 53v without load. Just couldn't understand why the battery is not going getting to Absorption or float
  • Matrix
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2017

Are you charging with the Quattro or some other means? Do you know approximately what the battery temp was at 8 hours before you stopped chraring? What was the charge current? And charge voltage settings?
    285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• spore33
      • Feb 2018

Thanks a lot for your reply, yes I am charging the battery with the Quattro inverter. not really sure about the battery temp I don't have battery temp installed, however, I noticed the battery was getting really hot and gassing after about 12 to 15 hours that is why I disconnect the battery from the charger, the inverter setting is absorption 57.6 and float is 55.2.

Just for your information not sure if this plays any impact, the installation is Africa and the weather temp is average of (89.6 Fahrenheit) 32 degrees Celsius

Comment

• Bala
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2010

Battery getting hot and lots of gassing is generally a sign that they are no good. What is their history??

I live in a tropical area with temps around 30c for much of the year, that should not be an issue for your battery bank.

Comment

• spore33
          • Feb 2018

Thanks a lot, Bala the batteries a pretty new it only get hot and gassing after being in charge of excessive 15 hours or so in Bulk mode which I believed they are being overcharged that is the reason for the gassing.

My question is this, can I decrease the Absorption voltage to 53v instead of 57v would that damage the batteries

Comment

• Bala
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2010

What are the recommended charge settings from the battery manufacturer?

it looks like a float Voltage for 48v would be about 54, so 53 will most likely be under charging.

Batteries staying in Bulk mode and overheating and indicating to me there is either something wrong with the charger or the batteries.

What is the bulk setting on the charger?

When you say they are "Pretty New" Did you buy them new?, Had they been sitting without being maintained? Have they been let get very low?

Comment

Working...