Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gdwats
    • Jul 2017

Classical batteries

An object up on a Shelf has more potential energy than the same object on the ground.
    A hot object has more energy than the same object when cooled.
    I think I will put my batteries up on the roof in the Sun.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Gdwats
    An object up on a Shelf has more potential energy than the same object on the ground.
    A hot object has more energy than the same object when cooled.
    I think I will put my batteries up on the roof in the Sun.
    trouble is that energy cannot be easily converted to electricity. Besides, you'll spend energy lifting them up the roof.

it would be more efficient to put some workout bicycle next to your bank on the ground, wire it up to the system and bike away: you'd lose some weight and also generate some electricity .

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Hey Max: Like Sunking implied, you got potential kid, but learn to think out of the box a little. Take it from someone who's been an engineer for 40 yrs. or so:

I'd get around the lifting part altogether by digging a hole deep enough to put the roof at ground level and put a semipermeable membrane around the hole (impermeable to everything except the house that is), and then perform a spatial inversion with respect to the hole and its surroundings. That will put the house in the hole and save the work of elevating the batteries.
      You gotta' be an experienced engineer to come up with that one.

Don't say I never gave you anything.

Comment

• Gdwats
        • Jul 2017

It was a joke. Just emphasizing how elecical stuff seems new to me, even though I'm sure I studied it at some point. Just never sink in it seem too weird and it was like just part of a course decades ago. I am having a lot of fun learning/relearning it though.
        Last edited by Gdwats; 09-17-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Gdwats
          • Jul 2017

About the bike..the pedal/gearing system could also be used hoist the black boxes boxes up.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

About the bike..the pedal/gearing system could also be used hoist the black boxes boxes up.
            Too bad batteries can't store power just sitting in the sun light. It would make it easier to store all that energy.

Comment

• Gdwats
              • Jul 2017

Indeed. And when they run low with no sun, just set them on the ground to release all that potential energy.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Indeed. And when they run low with no sun, just set them on the ground to release all that potential energy.
                Perfect analogy.

Comment

• max2k
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                  Hey Max: Like Sunking implied, you got potential kid, but learn to think out of the box a little. Take it from someone who's been an engineer for 40 yrs. or so:

I'd get around the lifting part altogether by digging a hole deep enough to put the roof at ground level and put a semipermeable membrane around the hole (impermeable to everything except the house that is), and then perform a spatial inversion with respect to the hole and its surroundings. That will put the house in the hole and save the work of elevating the batteries.
                  You gotta' be an experienced engineer to come up with that one.

Don't say I never gave you anything.
                  I see, experience is hard to hide I think there's small problem with this solution- how ppl living in the house would get in and out or is this left for the rest of the staff to figure out ?

Comment

• max2k
                    • May 2015

It was a joke. ...
                    what a bummer- we almost got it solved

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by max2k

I see, experience is hard to hide I think there's small problem with this solution- how ppl living in the house would get in and out or is this left for the rest of the staff to figure out ?
                      No problem at all. As you may remember, all the best problems were "left as an exercise for the student." Little did we students know at the time that the "later" for most problems, and for most of us, was after we got jobs.

Actually, it's no problem and not to worry. All those folks in the house need to do is need to do is shrink to (1-P.F. of a running motor), but only after startup, tilt their body at arcos (P.F.), duck into the imaginary plane with the rest of the lost power and sneak in/out through the lost power conduit.

To get back in however, will take an inverse Laplace transform. Otherwise, everyone will be inside out. on their return.

Glad to be of service
                      Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-17-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• max2k
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.

No problem at all. As you may remember, all the best problems were "left as an exercise for the student." Little did we students know at the time that the "later" for most problems, and for most of us, was after we got jobs.

Actually, it's no problem and not to worry. All those folks in the house need to do is need to do is shrink to (1-P.F. of a running motor), but only after startup, tilt their body at arcos (P.F.), duck into the imaginary plane with the rest of the lost power and sneak in/out through the lost power conduit.

To get back in however, will take an inverse Laplace transform. Otherwise, everyone will be inside out. on their return.

Glad to be of service
                        but of course, how could I miss that?

Comment

Working...