Which Hydrometer to purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hydrometer to purchase?

Looking forward to picking up a bank of FLA batteries and wondering which specific gravity tester is best...

Please recommend a hydrometer.. Don't they also make an electronic digital version?

Thanks!

Specific gravity from a refractometer can be done digitally, but expect a good model to be relatively expensive.

Deka's temp correcting version is a good place to start. You might want to check out what Midnite Solar has cooked up, as well.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

I have both of those as well as third one that looks like an automotive one. The Deka Temperature correcting version is the one I use all the time now. However, the thermometer mount is junk and would float upwards disrupting the float gauge. So I removed that thermometer with its mounts from inside the glass tube, it fell out on its own with no external persuasion needed.

I really wanted to like the Midnite Solar unit, but the gauge gets sort of hung up and gave me inconsistent results. I flick the side of the case with my finger to insure that the gauge is settled, but still I don't like the gauge reaction. The hand bulb feels like it will wear out quickly if I were to use it on a regular basis.

I also have the E-Z Red SP101 Battery Hydrometer. I found that this one also requires a bit of side tapping by a finger to get it to settle. And I just didn't care for it.

The good news is I have the 2 unused ones as spare for when I break the Deka tube.

Comment

If you can get a hydrovolt , I can vouch for that. It has temp.compensation built in.
        Beaware of copies, the original is made in Germany.

Comment

Hydrovolt it is.. I'll buy straight from a website rather than ebay...

Comment

UPDATE:
            A good deal came my way and I ended up purchasing a Refractometer instead. Got it for $20, looks brand new and came with all the original case, screw driver, etc. made by Robinair. not a scratch on it.

Comment

Working...
            X