X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I made a beer fridge once w/ a couple of room mates. It had two holes drilled in it, one for the CO2 line and one for the tap in the door. No reason why they couldn't have been a vent/drain.
    I'm a homebrewer so I have one that holds 4 corny kegs and 1 that's a temp controlled ferment chamber.

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by AzRoute66
      sensij, - At their website, the photos are all disclaimered with "Cool Cells must have full view of the night sky to function properly." This clearly has more to do with airflow over the lid/radiators than star gazing.
      Actually they are talking about thermal (IR) radiation from the panels as the source of cooling. The night sky is a thermodynamic black body of very low temperature. Much much lower than the air temperature.
      This is why an array of panels may show a temperature less than the ambient air temperature in the early morning after losing heat to the sky all night.
      Note that to take full advantage of the low radiation temperature you need to insulate the panels to prevent them from being warmed by the ambient air.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• AzRoute66
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2017

Thanks to all for all of the input. As suggested, this has never been thought of as other than a diversion or opportunity load.

I do like the freezer idea, but not crazy about the access to the batteries, Well insulated and I'm pretty sure most have a built in drain in the bottom which would be a plus. Would be easy to vent one too. I think I might want to remove the 'guts' and reposition them level so I could 'mount' a chest or upright freezer with the door hinge on top and door swinging out/up to facilitate access. Not out of the question.

I had already decided that any homemade box/small room would have elevated battery rack(s) and a tilted plastic/fiberglass pan/bottom to a drain for any excess fluids from cleaning, rinsing, etc.

As I mentioned up front, a swamp cooler was my first instinct and thanks to Sunking for validating that, as well as his rules of thumb for heat impacts to battery lifetime - but, his idea of a pit was both inspired and outside the box. My prowess with a backhoe has been well documented in my circle of friends and is frequently mentioned when no other means of disparaging me seems appropriate.

I actually exchanged a couple of emails with Zomeworks this morning about using my existing (and constantly running in the summer) evaporative cooling reservoir as an alternative heat sink for a Cool Box using a couple of lines and a small pump, They not only had some nice recommendations on bladder capacity and flows (vice pure convection which they do with large hose diameters), but THEY were the ones that noted that if I was not able to fully utilize the heat radiant capabilities of their product (due to it being in a closed garage), that I build a homemade cool box of my own. Very nice of them. To this end I put a temperature logger in the reservoir pan of my swamp cooler and will go fetch it in a couple of weeks.

Somehow, using the cold water from my existing cooler sounds better to me than just using the air output of a separate cooler. I'm sure I'll think of all of the reasons why over time.

At any rate, still mostly thinking out loud and open to all alternatives and observations.
        Last edited by AzRoute66; 08-09-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Thats how they made ice in the desert 500 years ago, insulated shallow pans under the night sky

Last edited by Mike90250; 08-09-2017, 09:26 PM.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

OK , not real good with terminology and I don't know anything about Geothermal cooling but while talking with a neighbor in Baja he was contemplating building an underground battery bunker which isn't too revolutionary but he mentioned he wanted to dig a underground cooling loop where air could be slowly circulated and the ground would regulate the air temperature. I just thought about this conversation after you mentioned your talent with a back hoe. Is this is out of the box enough or just out there? I'm sure there are plenty of issues to deal with if this idea would be attempted but it gets so damn hot down there some folks are willing to try anything to help their batteries.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by inetdog

Actually they are talking about thermal (IR) radiation from the panels as the source of cooling. The night sky is a thermodynamic black body of very low temperature. Much much lower than the air temperature.
              This is why an array of panels may show a temperature less than the ambient air temperature in the early morning after losing heat to the sky all night.
              Note that to take full advantage of the low radiation temperature you need to insulate the panels to prevent them from being warmed by the ambient air.
              As I wrote, the Zomeworks application is for outside, although it will probably work inside with the nocturnal cooling feature not employed. I'm not sure if the underside of the covers on the Zomeworks device is insulated but it looks as though it is..

A clear night sky is close to being a blackbody, but as a practical matter, it's less than a true blackbody for reasons having to do with the sky temperature not being uniform over the sky dome and the atmosphere radiating within only certain wavelengths. Clouds will also have an effect. Empirical correlations using the surface dew point and hour from midnite often show an effective nite sky temp. of something like 5 to 15 deg. C below ground ambient temp. for a good portion of the U.S., with the greater temp. differences being under clear skys and dry air at higher elevations above sea level. Such temp. depressions seem to correlate reasonably well with measurements of radiative cooling effects.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2017

Just to put a bow on a part of this, I measured the past four weeks and the swamp cooler reservoir water averaged 60 degrees when most daytime temperatures ran into the 90s and relative humidity was all over the place. The swing on the water temp was + or - 10 degrees, so recirculation at night to replace chilled water in a insulated battery enclosure should ensure it starts the day from 55 to 60 degrees. But even 70 degrees would be helpful in a garage that is going to get to 100 degrees on most summertime days.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Just to put a bow on a part of this, I measured the past four weeks and the swamp cooler reservoir water averaged 60 degrees when most daytime temperatures ran into the 90s and relative humidity was all over the place. The swing on the water temp was + or - 10 degrees, so recirculation at night to replace chilled water in a insulated battery enclosure should ensure it starts the day from 55 to 60 degrees. But even 70 degrees would be helpful in a garage that is going to get to 100 degrees on most summertime days.
                  FWIW, and probably of no particular significance or importance to you, but the water temp. in a swamp cooler is a pretty decent indicator of the average dew point temp. A swamp cooler works the same way a cooling tower works, but not as efficiently, with swamp coolers usually getting the moistened air to within about 20 deg. F. or so of the water temp.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2017

Yeah, I plotted dew point and relative humidity as well as air and water temps. Thanks again to sensij for the MesoWest weather data reminder. I would say my provided air is much closer to the water temp than 20 degrees. If I re-run this in the spring or summer (and I probably will if I have no other task for the logger), I'll spot check it with the infrared on the vent registers. I love this little temp logger, I wish I had one as cheap/good/easy for DCV.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Yeah, I plotted dew point and relative humidity as well as air and water temps. Thanks again to sensij for the MesoWest weather data reminder. I would say my provided air is much closer to the water temp than 20 degrees. If I re-run this in the spring or summer (and I probably will if I have no other task for the logger), I'll spot check it with the infrared on the vent registers. I love this little temp logger, I wish I had one as cheap/good/easy for DCV.
                      Some swamp coolers are better than others. 20 F. (Air outlet - dew point) of temp. diff. is s rough estimate. Reasonably well designed commercial and industrial cooling towers will do about 10 F., maybe a bit less, depending on particulars. Much lower than that 10 F. delta T starts to get expensive. Long, boring story for most. Most residential swamp coolers "working" operating efficiency will often run in the neighborhood of ~~ 50 % or so, ballpark, depending on media pad material, design, how often they are cleaned and the big factors of air cleanliness and water hardness.

Very loosely translating that efficiency into numbers, that means if the outside dry bulb temp. temp. is, say 90 F., and the outside dew point temp. is, say 50 F., a delta T of 90 - 50 = 40 F., at 50% eff., the cooler will reduce the air temp. by 40 F.*.5 = 20 F., giving an air temp. at the cooler outlet of 90 - 20 = 70 F. or so.

As a practical matter, mostly because it's moving relatively fast, the air coming out of the cooler directly at the cooler outlet may give the psychometric perception of being cooler than that 70 F., for much the same psychometric reasons that standing in front of a fan seems a cooler (or warmer if the moving air is warmer) place to be.

For the same dew point and dry bulb temps., cleaner and thus more efficient media pads will tend to increase the inlet to outlet temp. differences, increasing the system efficiency.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

I love this little temp logger, I wish I had one as cheap/good/easy for DCV.
                        If you don't mind sharing, which temp logger are you using?
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• AzRoute66
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2017

An Elitech RC-4 I found on Amazon. I think it is RC-4, $20, the one without humidity and with the probe. Some things about the one button user interface and the software will look quirky at first glance, but most of it makes sense when you realize that these were designed to monitor cargo as their first job. The software will give you a nice graph and one click export to Excel, text, and PDF. I haven't tried the alarm functions but I have had it in the freezer and the attic, and it was on the roof for a month. Good agreement with the thermometers I trust.

Comment

Working...