How long with a T105 battery last if its never used?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Murby
    Generators are not a renewable source of energy.. Since they depend on infrastructure to provide them with fuel, they are not a consideration for a long term solution.
    That is just plain ignorant. Solar depends heavily on infrastructure. Batteries and solar are a complete waste of all resources. Batteries have negative EROI.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Murby
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by max2k

I think OP keeps referring to SHTF situation when no infrastructure will be available. IMO at that point electricity as a concept will be gone too and whoever survives will have to start from scratch. You can get by for 2-5 years with everything gone but then things will start to break and there won't be replacements available. Nature will take over so most useful items will be firearms and ammo and even them will be gone too in 50 years or so. The data storage as we know it today won't last long so the books kept in oxygen free enclosure would probably be the best source of info.
      Yes.. SHTF.. I anticipate the grid going down for two to five years.. When it comes back up, power will be rationed to just a couple hours a day for the next year or two.. then it will be on for a few more hours per day as things get rebuilt. Full power restored within five to ten years.

So I need to be set up to survive the first three to five years or so.... after that, other alternatives can be created. I'm building a home made wood gassifier to be able to run a small generator if needed, but main power should come from the solar panels since they have an extremely long lifespan.

Comment

• Murby
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
        That is just plain ignorant. Solar depends heavily on infrastructure. Batteries and solar are a complete waste of all resources. Batteries have negative EROI.
        Not as ignorant as not reading the whole thread to understand what we're talking about...

Your car depends on infrastructure to keep running.... Solar panels do not. Once you have them, they will generate energy for decades. Your car, or a generator, require infrastructure to keep them fueled.. Solar panels do not..

Batteries require infrastructure to keep them charged.. the solar panels are the infrastructure.. you could put them on a raft in the middle of the ocean and they'd make power for decades without any need for extra infrastructure..
        Put a generator on a raft and it will stop working as soon as it runs out of fuel. Over the course of time spans measured in decades, solar panels will produce many times more energy than you could possibly store in the form of gasoline or diesel.. well.. at least at any level of practicality..

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Yes.. SHTF.. I anticipate the grid going down for two to five years.. When it comes back up, power will be rationed to just a couple hours a day for the next year or two.. then it will be on for a few more hours per day as things get rebuilt. Full power restored within five to ten years.

So I need to be set up to survive the first three to five years or so.... after that, other alternatives can be created. I'm building a home made wood gassifier to be able to run a small generator if needed, but main power should come from the solar panels since they have an extremely long lifespan.
          I don't know your age or health situation but with the grid going down for 5 years I would say there will be a very high number of deaths (probably mine included) that will happen.

Besides the lack of refrigerated food, without power there will be no medicine made or medical equipment in doctors offices or hospitals that could run. That would severely limit health care back to the practices found before Edison was around.

If you feel you want to survive the decade waiting for full power to be restored then have at it and good luck.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Just buy a gun and a bullet. Shoot yourself when SHTF. You are going to die anyway. Why suffer? No battery is going to make it that long. Just where are you going to get distilled water from? When SHTF, me and my friends will see your solar panels and kill you for them. Just shoot yourself and save yourself the misery.
            Last edited by Sunking; 08-16-2017, 04:01 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Not as ignorant as not reading the whole thread to understand what we're talking about...

Your car depends on infrastructure to keep running.... Solar panels do not. Once you have them, they will generate energy for decades. Your car, or a generator, require infrastructure to keep them fueled.. Solar panels do not..

Batteries require infrastructure to keep them charged.. the solar panels are the infrastructure.. you could put them on a raft in the middle of the ocean and they'd make power for decades without any need for extra infrastructure..
              Put a generator on a raft and it will stop working as soon as it runs out of fuel. Over the course of time spans measured in decades, solar panels will produce many times more energy than you could possibly store in the form of gasoline or diesel.. well.. at least at any level of practicality..
              Put a battery on a raft and try to get another one when it dies and there's no infrastructure to replace it. Everything needs infrastructure. Time frame before infrastructure support is needed seems to be a definitional point, perhaps as some f(maint. requirements). Lead door stops, book ends, boat anchors and such like probably don't need much ongoing infrastructure support. PV components beyond panels will need some maintenance during an ownership cycle, with battery replacement sooner than later.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Remember if the SHTF then there will be no police or protection from the roving mobs. Those solar panels will draw thieves to them like ants to a picnic. If you want to survive you better think of ways to do it without electricity or for that matter the internet, computers, tv, radio, cell phones, etc will be pretty much useless.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Another pack rat at this house has loaded it with food and drink. That is about the only thing here
                  that MIGHT help briefly for SHTF. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Murby
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2017

Just buy a gun and a bullet. Shoot yourself when SHTF. You are going to die anyway. Why suffer?
                    Well by that logic, you should just shoot yourself when you're old enough to buy a gun because you're going to die anyway?????? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Others might want to go that route.. I'm not judging.. but not me.. I will survive and flourish.

No battery is going to make it that long.
                    Sure you don't want to reconsider that statement? You don't think a battery can last 5 years??? Almost any battery will last 5 years..

Just where are you going to get distilled water from?
                    I won't need distilled water... I will be filling my lead acid batteries with Dihydrogen Monoxide.
                    Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division provides an international clearinghouse for information on Dihydrogen Monoxide including current research results, governmental regulations, and exposure and contamination alerts. Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) can be dangerous to humans. Dihydrogen Monoxide causes death and destruction. Dihydrogen Monoxide is found in acid rain. Dihydrogen Monoxide is found in rivers and streams.

I have the patent information for the machinery and the secrete formula for a top secret process to make this stuff...and I have purchased the complex equipment for that purpose.

When SHTF, me and my friends will see your solar panels and kill you for them. Just shoot yourself and save yourself the misery.
                    By the time you got close enough to see my panels, you'll already be dog food and garden fertilizer..... good luck with that.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Sure you don't want to reconsider that statement? You don't think a battery can last 5 years??? Almost any battery will last 5 years..
                      You are clueless. No battery is coming out of storage and last 5 years. There are very few batteries that last 5 years when new.

Originally posted by Murby;n358604I won't need distilled water... I will be filling my lead acid batteries with Dihydrogen Monoxide.
                      [url
                      http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html[/url]
                      I have the patent information for the machinery and the secrete formula for a top secret process to make this stuff...and I have purchased the complex equipment for that purpose.
                      I rest my case.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• max2k
                        • May 2015

I won't need distilled water... I will be filling my lead acid batteries with Dihydrogen Monoxide.
                        Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division provides an international clearinghouse for information on Dihydrogen Monoxide including current research results, governmental regulations, and exposure and contamination alerts. Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) can be dangerous to humans. Dihydrogen Monoxide causes death and destruction. Dihydrogen Monoxide is found in acid rain. Dihydrogen Monoxide is found in rivers and streams.

when kidding you better use smaller font so the slow ones like myself would have easier time to catch up

if it was serious then you need to read up on chem 101 as Dihydrogen Monoxide is the same stuff as H2O AKA water.

The link got me curious- who came up with that stuff and why? They even have MSDS 'safety sheet' which correctly shows boiling point at 100 C and melting at 0 C and its molecular mass of 18 . Aside from the fact that Celsius scale was actually derived from those points therefore it is kind of backwards it's all good .

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

when kidding you better use smaller font so the slow ones like myself would have easier time to catch up

if it was serious then you need to read up on chem 101 as Dihydrogen Monoxide is the same stuff as H2O AKA water.

The link got me curious- who came up with that stuff and why? They even have MSDS 'safety sheet' which correctly shows boiling point at 100 C and melting at 0 C and its molecular mass of 18 . Aside from the fact that Celsius scale was actually derived from those points therefore it is kind of backwards it's all good .
                          Max: Scientific humor has been around a long time. A well developed branch of science. See: "The Journal of Irreproducible Results". Or: "A random Walk in Science". That second title is far and away the most valuable book I own, especially when I start taking myself too seriously and need a bitch slap.

Comment

• Murby
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2017

Dihydrogen Monoxide is one of the funniest science jokes I've ever run across.. I'm an engineer myself and my hobbies are astrophysics and quantum physics.. I talk to professional physicists on forums like this one when I have questions...some of these guys are just too funny... and I just get a giggle every time I pull that one out of my bag and dumb people fall for it without thinking...

When is see statements like "Where are you going to get distilled water?"... I just can't resist... its just too darn funny..

Comment

• Murby
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2017

You are clueless. No battery is coming out of storage and last 5 years. There are very few batteries that last 5 years when new.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, this isn't even close to a true statement. NiFe batteries have a life expectancy measured in decades... The Tesla Powerwall as well as Sonnen both have 10 year warranties.... and as for Lead Acid, if you store one of them dry, it should last forever shouldn't it?

So in what way is your statement true?

I rest my case.
                              Have a drink of some Dihydrogen Monoxide and relax...

Comment

• Murby
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2017

You should give yourself more credit if you caught it.

Comment

Working...