Trojan - signature vs. premium.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trojan - signature vs. premium.

Need to decide between the following as they are around the same price.

435 ah Trojan L16H AC signature line

or

370 ah Trojan L16 RE-B Premium line

nightly draws are around 130-140 amps @48v a night from (sundown to sunrise) in summer and 95-105amps @48v odd a night winter.

Basically, higher DOD nighly on the Premium batt verses the signature battery with the high AH rating.

Deeper DOD on better battery, or shallower DOD on cheaper signature battery, which is the better choice??

OK you are not making a lot of sense.

nightly draws are around 130-140 amps @48v a night from (sundown to sunrise) in summer and 95-105amps @48v odd a night winter.
    Neither battery can tolerate those extremely high current rates. You are talking a 5000 to6000 watt load. Or are you talking about Amp Hours? Two different things completely.

None the less the RE is a superior battery.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Yes of course I mean Amp Hours taken out the battery. So Sunking, given the choice, you feel even though it will be the deeper DOD on the premium RE battery, it's still the better choice?

it a tough call, per the Trojan DoD charts, seems I will get slightly less out of the RE vs the signtuare battery.

but there is also other factors to consider like, charge times, as they will increase due to battery c10 rating. 6.5 amps less per hour during charge bulk charge. It's small but slows down the re charge some what.
      Last edited by Jemplayer; 04-23-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

What is your daily Watt Hour requirement? Forget Amp Hours for the moment.

The RE line uses thicker lead and Trojans T2 Carbon Technology which greatly improves PSOC. I am still leaning toward the RE series.

You want to design for worse case and your winter load appears to dictate that. But without knowing your location or Winter Sun Hours leaves me guessing at a couple of things. What is really bothering me is your numbers do not line up. If your Winter AH are say 130 AH, you should be looking at a 650 AH battery. So I do not know how you came up with 370 or 435. That does not add up. If I use your Summer numbers is 500 AH. So things are just not adding up.
        Last edited by Sunking; 04-23-2017, 05:26 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

A deeper discharge on any type of battery will probably shorten the life span.

IMO the best plan would be to get the battery at a lower cost and higher Ah rating. If that is the signature type then go that route.

Comment

I like graphs and pictures. Do you like graphs and pictures? A good graph is worth a thousand words. If you compare Signature and Premium lines use the 1500 cycle line as that is the most accurate line. When you do that you can take the Signature line to 40% DOD, and the Premium Line to 60% DOD. For grins and giggles Industrial line to 80% DOD.

Now a message from our sponsors battery tips. To find the best value for your money when you look at the graphs , look for the linear part of the line, The straight portion of the line. Example it is real easy to see on the Industrial Line from 5000 cycles @ 20% DOD down to 55% DOD.

That is where you want to operate at.

Last word, take note on Gel and AGM. Short cycle life at twice the cost per AH.

Last edited by Sunking; 04-23-2017, 11:23 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              What is your daily Watt Hour requirement? Forget Amp Hours for the moment.

The RE line uses thicker lead and Trojans T2 Carbon Technology which greatly improves PSOC. I am still leaning toward the RE series.

You want to design for worse case and your winter load appears to dictate that. But without knowing your location or Winter Sun Hours leaves me guessing at a couple of things. What is really bothering me is your numbers do not line up. If your Winter AH are say 130 AH, you should be looking at a 650 AH battery. So I do not know how you came up with 370 or 435. That does not add up. If I use your Summer numbers is 500 AH. So things are just not adding up.
              I love pictures too. So much easier than tying to explain it.? You got the amp hours reversed, summer is the higher nighly DOD, due to fridge working much harder and generally being up later and using more power.

I don't need 5 days autonomy were I live. We have very good sun and lots of it. I also have a gennie, so when we are in the third day of of clouds which is rare- ish, I use that to charge.

been working this way for four years, and systems function well with 435ah storage. Could always have more for sure, but it's sufficient.

also if i check the weather and see several days of coulds/rain coming, tighten the belt and bring energy usage down to 70Ah a night, so it works.

So on average, we use 30% of the 435ah bank a night in summer, and 20% of the bank a nigh in winter.

In the end it's seems to work out to 20-30% DOD on the 435ah batt and 26-36% on the RE batt.

Back to the original question. Premium deeper DOD or signature shallower DOD?
              Last edited by Jemplayer; 04-24-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Sunking - Any final opinions as to the better choice of the two, based on info provided?

Comment

Originally posted by Jemplayer View Post
                  Sunking - Any final opinions as to the better choice of the two, based on info provided?
                  You tell me, use the graph and warranty to make your purchase decision.

The L16H carries a 2 year warranty, the L16RE-B 5 years

Next look at the graph and determine Depth of Discharge on each model and see which yields more cycles. Between warranty and cycles it should be obvious. Everything you need to know is in this thread. If it were me, none of the above. I would be looking at IND9-6V a 10 to 15 year battery

MSEE, PE

Comment

Are you familiar with their single point watering kit, and does it make any sense for a personal RE sized bank?
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                      Are you familiar with their single point watering kit, and does it make any sense for a personal RE sized bank?
                      Not for say a 2-Battery System, Once you get up in cell count, they are timesavers, safer, and foolproof like over filling. Lot of Golf Cart users like them. Just ask Mike what he thinks. You can rack up some serious time topping off a large bank.

I get your drift, it is a luxury or I want one kind of thing. Besides convenience and time saving, it is a good safety feature keeping your distance away from battery acid.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        You tell me, use the graph and warranty to make your purchase decision.

The L16H carries a 2 year warranty, the L16RE-B 5 years

Next look at the graph and determine Depth of Discharge on each model and see which yields more cycles. Between warranty and cycles it should be obvious. Everything you need to know is in this thread. If it were me, none of the above. I would be looking at IND9-6V a 10 to 15 year battery

The industial is unfortuantly not not an option, as there is no stock were I live.

Seems to me both operate best at the 20-30% discharge. If I got with RE, DOD will be 25-35% so a bit out of the optimum zone, As for cycles, they are very close, maybe 150-200 more with RE.

but the over all loss of capacity is still bothering me as it effects the c10 draw I can use at night for brief periods, and the amps I can push in during charge cycle.

appricate the input.

Comment

Just ask Mike what he thinks. You can rack up some serious time topping off a large bank.
                          Lots of water, and time doing 40 cells
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Jemplayer View Post
                            Seems to me both operate best at the 20-30% discharge. If I got with RE, DOD will be 25-35% so a bit out of the optimum zone, As for cycles, they are very close, maybe 150-200 more with RE.
                            Look again, you left out a ZERO. More like 1000 to 1500 more cycles.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                              Lots of water, and time doing 40 cells
                              Yeah I thought that would get your attention. You would need to use 5 gallon bottles with a Auto-System.

Just curious if you have ever considered using rain water. Do you get enough rain and is PH neutral? You might be far enough away from cities to at least experiment and see if there is any contaminants. Particulates is not a problem and easily filtered out with just resting. It is the dissolved sulfur and pollutants you would have to test for.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 04-27-2017, 08:09 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X