Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a Charger for very small system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
    UM, the Schumacher chargers may surprise you when you actually test the terminal voltages of the batteries differing greatly from the voltage stated on the display. I have reviewed and commented on them a few years back.
    PNj what models are you talking about? Yes they make Automotive, Marine, and Golf Cart battery chargers. The automotive units do hammer car batteries like any good garage charger will do. They are designed that way and are Constant Current only and will go up to 18 volts. Marine and Golf Cart are smart 3-Stage. The ones I am familiar with the 36 and 48 volt golf cart models you tell them what battery model number you have for a specific algorithm.

I have no problem with the Optimate, but it is nothing more than a simple Float Charger with a timer and selectable voltage of 14.4 or 14.7 volts. At 6 to 7 amps cannot charge large batteries. Right size for Optima Blue, Red and Yellow tops being their largest is 75 AH or so. Great batteries though if you need to hammer them with 4C loads. But the king is still Concorde in terms of quality and being able to handle large C-Loads but the price turns people away. Another one I like a lot is Oddessey and can take a hard hit. All have one thing in common is they are 100% pure lead. What sets optima apart is the Jelly Roll design made for a lot of vibrations and abuse made popular by Low Riders with jumping cars. You can hammer them with huge C-Rates and drop them off a building.

Last edited by Sunking; 05-22-2017, 05:56 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
    X