X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Bala
    Running even small items off one battery in a series usually causes problems.
    Wait a minute. Is that what he is doing? If so STOP THAT.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Bala
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Diesel Pro
      First sun in a week and a half!

Checked Sunday and voltage was a weak 23.7v and panels barely pushing 200 watts. This voltage is at or maybe a bit lower than it was a week earlier when I left which is cause for concern. Previously it would run in the 25.6 range. I did watch it run a 1hr EQ and also saw it running at absorb and kept the absorb going to a relatively low amperage, but I did not make notes so on a good sunny day does well.

My battery fan is tiny 1.10watt .09a Gryphon. It is wired directly to only one battery. I know this is not optimal, but figured that the load is quite insignificant.

Good to know on the microwave clock. I have the microwave unplugged this week. The clock is handy if a guy wakes up in the night etc, but if it's not accurate I may have to do something about it. I was hoping that the Magnum would tell me what the inverter out watts were like my killawatt, but apparently not. Even the DC monitor shows amps and that sits at 0 when at rest. I have not set the search watts and not sure if I want to. Seems that if I do it clicks in and out which is plenty annoying so I disabled search.
      Gotta read the fine print sunking

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Bala
        Gotta read the fine print sunking
        You are right, my bad, I did not pick up "one". Blew right by it. So OP if you are doing that, STOP, there is a better way.

I suspect the fan is not needed, especially if you switch to Float Charge. But having said that if you are not comfortable without a fan the solution is simple. Buy your fan some company, an identical fan (voltage - current) wired in series so you end up with a 24 volt Fan. Muffin Fans are cheap, less than $5. Just disconnect them when you leave.
        Last edited by Sunking; 12-07-2016, 05:05 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Diesel Pro
          • Sep 2016

Update: Stopped up to cabin last evening right to plow snow as light was failing. No time to do anything with the hydrometer, but that is irrelevant at this point as the batteries are low. Snow is cleared from the panels as well.

V= 23.8 when I arrived. Sun has not been out much at all the past couple of weeks.

I shut down the breaker feeding 24v to the inverter and disconnected my fan so zero load.

I set the absorb voltage to 27.6

I set the float to 27.5 which is the highest it would go. My logic was to set a bit higher for now and then adjust back down next weekend.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

You will be ok, unless its a sunny week. Bring some distilled to top off the batteries, you are likely to gas a lot.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
              You will be ok, unless its a sunny week. Bring some distilled to top off the batteries, you are likely to gas a lot.
              Ditto and if it is cold I doubt they gas as gassing voltage goes up as temps drop.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Diesel Pro
                • Sep 2016

The heat in the cabin is set as low as it goes. Temps should be just above freezing so long as the pilot does not quit which I am pretty sure I have fixed. I was planning to leave the inverter on and in standby mode as that the little bit of waste heat would be welcome inside. I'm looking to get back and check things out this weekend again hopefully with some time.

Still concerned that the voltage dropped so bad with no load to speak of. I think that the Magnum is rated 25w in standby and the little gryphon fan is only like 1watt. Now with all off and some sun we'll see how things go this week. Decent sun yesterday and so far today.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

> I think that the Magnum is rated 25w in standby

I hope not, that seems huge
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Diesel Pro
                    • Sep 2016

According to specs:

Power consumption search is 6watt

Power consumption inverting (no load) is 27watts

I would assume inverting no load is what it is doing while idle and just running loads like microwave clock and TV vampire loads?

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

According to specs:

I would assume inverting no load is what it is doing while idle and just running loads like microwave clock and TV vampire loads?
                      Wow that is horrible. That means everyday you burn up 650 watt hours doing nothing. That will take at least a 300 watts panels doing nothing except to keep the Invert Light turned on. Basically to just keep the Inverter Light on you need a 300 watt panel and a 24 volt 135 AH batter. Want to charge a cell phone, you are going to ned more battery and panels wattage.

Is that a problem for you?

MSEE, PE

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                        Wait a minute. Is that what he is doing? If so STOP THAT.
                        I have been telling some of the old car people that, but they don't want to hear it. Some 40s vehicles get partially converted
                        12V, but some parts are still 6V. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

According to specs:
                          My inverter is 2x the power, and about the same losses, on a much larger system.
                          [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica-Light]Idle Consumption

Comment

• Diesel Pro
                            • Sep 2016

I'll dig in some more with Magnum on this. I know that the display on the ARC shows the voltage and 0 amps at idle. I'm looking at putting in some sort of a meter to measure watts at least on the output legs and possibly on the input as well.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

I'll dig in some more with Magnum on this. I know that the display on the ARC shows the voltage and 0 amps at idle. I'm looking at putting in some sort of a meter to measure watts at least on the output legs and possibly on the input as well.
                              Output is not what you want to know as that is only a partial picture. Stop and think you could leave the Inverter on for a day with nothing connected and you burn through 650 watt hours and no indication it was used. You want to know what is leaving the battery.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Diesel Pro
                                • Sep 2016

Voltage is rising, but sg is still low. I arrived Saturday after snow Friday through Sat and the panels were covered. Voltage was in the 25.6 range. I cleared the panels and then wen to work with the hydrometer. I had intentions of logging, but found it pointless. A range of 1.7 to 1.95 with most on the 1.8 range. Sun is back out today so let's hope things come back.

I asked it to equalize manually (1 hr) so hopefully the little snow that fell after we left slides or melts off and things get rolling a bit.

It was -27f overnight here so I am not sure my plans, but I do have a machine that I plan to move back to the cabin and may pop in to check up on it.

Since I can't get my float up above 27.5 any suggestions for the absorb voltage and time? I am open to moving this stuff around a bit seasonally if necessary. There is only one time of year where I hoped to run the batteries hard and that is spring maple season. Otherwise draw down is minimal.
                                Last edited by Diesel Pro; 12-18-2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...