X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trojan battery decision.

Here is the question.

Same cost.

One string Of Trojan 420ah L16 signature line batteries.

Two strings of Tojan T145 260ah signature line totaling 520ah.

On one hand, a single L16 420ah bank will balance better and be easier to maintain and water,, but the two T145 260ah banks give me 100ah more capacity, hence slightly lower DOD.

What do the experts have to say on the matter. Which is the better choice?
    Last edited by Jemplayer; 09-07-2016, 11:47 AM.

What is the system battery voltage?

Hint: 12 and 24 volts is the wrong answer.
    Last edited by Sunking; 09-07-2016, 01:56 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Both of those are 6 volt type batteries. IMO a single string of the 420Ah would be a better selection then going with a parallel set of the 260Ah ones even if you get more Ah with the parallel set.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        What is the system battery voltage?

Hint: 12 and 24 volts is the wrong answer.
        48 Volts !!! So 8 batts in a string.

Comment

One string Of Trojan 420ah L16 signature line batteries.

is the right choice between the 2 choices.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Best value on solar batteries I know of is the Trojan L-16RE-B, 370Ah at 6V. Always best to size the battery though so you can have just one string.
            Parallel batteries - always undesirable. You might be getting big enough to go with 2V batteries. Also go with the Trojan semi-automatic watering system.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by Jemplayer View Post
              48 Volts !!! So 8 batts in a string.
              First thing first. Go with the L16's as a single string will outlast any parallel setup.

OK the reason I answered your question with another question is if you said 12 or 24, I would have said use the T-145's and just double the operating voltage with one single string of batteries. There is a method to my madness in an attempt to make you think.

The most important thing is to use enough battery, and minimize over kill and expense.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you all for the input. One bank it is! Will still get watering system though, four years of grid now, my desire to water batteries is zero.

Comment

Working...
                X