Silicone Salt Batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone Salt Batteries?

I saw a reference in Home Power to a battery technology that I had never heard of, Silicone Salt batteries. When I try to search for technical descriptions of the technology I don't find much depth. The majority of the results link back to a an obviously Chinese origin English as second language website that represents that these batteries are greater then sliced bread. Operation and storage down to -40 C, very long term charge storage, sealed construction, long life, you name it they claim it. The only really somewhat independent evaluation is Backwoods Solar that is collecting anecdotal evidence on operation of real systems. The batteries are represented as drop in for AGMs, same voltage and same settings as an AGM.

Not much for research papers on this technology and most older references are the typical media hype. Anyone found any legit info on these?

I don't need batteries but in my area there are a lot of off grid 4 season camps with solar systems that could really use an abuse resistant battery that wont get damaged by freezing conditions. Minus 35 degrees F happens every few years and -25 F is pretty routine most winters. Most of the camps are on posts with no basements and ground water can be an issue so excavated battery boxes are not a great option. I cant really recommend NI Fe as most owners would let them boil dry and would probably fill them with pond water.

I'm guessing it's lithium ion technology.....

http://www.siliconebatteries.ca/siliconebatteries.html

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/suo/papers/298.pdf

http://phys.org/news/2015-08-shells-...batteries.html

Comment

This sounds interesting any comments..

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
        This sounds interesting any comments..
        Lots of things sound interesting. Wait for a working product that's been in production for a few years or so, then look at it like the devil's advocate and don't rush to get on board. No brainer stuff.

Comment

Howdy J.P.M , fair call

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
            Howdy J.P.M , fair call
            Back atcha'. You asked for comments. I'm only obliging.

Comment

I would have ignored it but Backwoods Solar does seem to have some at least anecdotal experience. Interesting if its Lithium Ion in disguise.

Comment

40 years in the biz and counting. Hear this type hype almost everyday for 40 years. Only two things ever came true and I wish they were not around. Cell Phone and Computers. None of the rest ever showed up.

Just a few years ago it was all the rage about EESTOR and BLOOM BOX

Perhaps you remember EESTOR in 2007 is suppose to be an Ultra SuperCapacitor that would have antiquated all batteries. Looked so good a Vehicle Manufacture Company was formed and went into production only to come to a grinding halt because EESTOR could not produce the Capacitor. Still waiting to this day.

Bloom Box was a classic SCAM even the King of Make Believe News CBS 60 Minutes did a special on Bloom Box as it would eliminate Electric Utilities by customers taking NG and turning it into electricity. He had some magic Membrane that made the Fuel Cell. CBS even went to Google and UPS headquarters and showed the units in service. Well as it turns out Bloom Box was a Fraud. Yes they made a NG fuel cell that worked. Problem is it is inefficient and waste money and resources. Turns out electricity cost more to make in a Bloom Box vs buying electricity which is twice as efficient and does not waste resources.

So when you hear stuff like this after 40 years, all you can do is roll your eyes and shake your head. Wait until it puts money in your hands. Otherwise you are letting someone elses hand get in your pocket. They are not looking for a roll of Life Savers or Walnuts
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                X