Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MosierInd
    • Apr 2016

Question about batteries

I found someone selling some batteries and was looking to set up an off-grid solution. How much are the batteries worth? I don't know if these batteries would work but I was told they used to be a battery backup for a crane system
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

How much are they selling them for?

If they have been used or are old, whatever they charge you it would be 5 times too much.

Usually old batteries have some scrap value but there is a cost to send them to the scrape dealer or dispose of them because they are considered toxic waste.

So if someone can get a novice to purchase them at a "reduced" price then the seller solves two problems. He makes money and does not have to spend any to get rid of a waste product.

Comment

• MosierInd
      • Apr 2016

They are charging 500 dollars, they were pulled from production a few months ago when a plant closed.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

If you have the ability to test and check each battery you may find a few that have some life left in them and are worth spending your money for your experiment.

You should also look into what it costs to "dispose"of those type of batteries based on their size, weight, chemical & metal properties.

In some states you have to go through a formal process for the removal of toxic waste from the property.

Comment

• Terrh
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
          You should also look into what it costs to "dispose"of those type of batteries based on their size, weight, chemical & metal properties.

In some states you have to go through a formal process for the removal of toxic waste from the property.
          This definitely depends on the area! In some places, it's quite expensive to dispose of lead-acid batteries, and in other areas, it's quite profitable. I got paid over $0.25/lb last time I got rid my pile of old lead acid batteries. May not sound like much, but a few hundred pounds of them adds up quick! In my area (southern ontario, Canada) if I could get all the batteries pictured for $500 I'd be loading them as fast as I could, whether they worked or not.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Terrh

This definitely depends on the area! In some places, it's quite expensive to dispose of lead-acid batteries, and in other areas, it's quite profitable. I got paid over $0.25/lb last time I got rid my pile of old lead acid batteries. May not sound like much, but a few hundred pounds of them adds up quick! In my area (southern ontario, Canada) if I could get all the batteries pictured for $500 I'd be loading them as fast as I could, whether they worked or not.
            "One man's garbage is another man's gold".

I use to do my car's oil change and be able to sell it to the local gas station for a few penny's per gallon. Now just about everywhere in the US anything that is considered "toxic" costs you to properly dispose of it

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2011

They are Telcom batteries. So they are designed for standby usage. Other wise held at float voltage for long periods of time to be used in emergency situations. Generally they are low cycle batteries (only need to deeply cycle a few dozen times in a decade) so they are not good if you want to daily cycle them in a solar system.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
                They are Telcom batteries. So they are designed for standby usage. Other wise held at float voltage for long periods of time to be used in emergency situations. Generally they are low cycle batteries (only need to deeply cycle a few dozen times in a decade) so they are not good if you want to daily cycle them in a solar system.

Yeah but they will last for years just sitting there waiting on a power outage.

Comment

Working...