What is considered a charge cycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is considered a charge cycle?

Hi all I am new here, trying to learn as much as I can for a future offgrid system. I was wondering if someone could clarify exactly what counts as a charge cycle on a battery bank. It seems that with an offgrid system that depending on power use and weather the system could flip back and forth between charging and depleting batteries during the day. Is this something to plan for and avoid somehow, or are only full charges considered a cycle? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Originally posted by BigCountry View Post
    Hi all I am new here, trying to learn as much as I can for a future offgrid system. I was wondering if someone could clarify exactly what counts as a charge cycle on a battery bank. It seems that with an offgrid system that depending on power use and weather the system could flip back and forth between charging and depleting batteries during the day. Is this something to plan for and avoid somehow, or are only full charges considered a cycle? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    Good question. I know, because I had the same one not too long ago. And I am not 100% sure yet. But if you look at the charts from the manufacturers you will find that within normal limits the amount of energy produced by the battery in its lifetime at 20% DOD is the same as at 80% DOD. So, the best answer I got was that a small cycle would also fit that same profile. In other words you would get a whole bunch of small cycles which would not shorter the "cycle" life of the battery except proportional to the amount of energy produced.

This does make sense in that the lead in the battery does undergo a certain amount of deterioration based on the production of current and it makes sense that this is proportionate to the power produced.

However, I will be delighted if someone either adds to this or corrects my current understanding.

Comment

Dave I can help you out. There is no clear definition of what constitutes a Charge Cycle. But for Solar is a 24 hour day. If you look at various battery manufactures, most of the good manufactures publish Cycle Life vs Depth of Discharge. For example a given battery may list 2000 cycles at 20% DoD, and 100 cycles if discharged to 80% DoD. .................................................. .................................................. ................................ Solar Controllers do not work like you think. If you battery happens to get fully charged up in a day, it should if designed correctly, starts in the morning in the Bulk Mode. After charge goings into Float Charge until the next morning when the clock resets. So the short answer you question; A cycle is a day or 24 hour period. Want your battery to last? Do not discharge it more than 20 to 30% on any given day, and never allow your battery sit left without being fully charged up.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X