X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tehan
    You're entitled to that opinion so long as you accept it for what it is: a hunch, uninformed by data. There were plenty of people willing to put their faith in Tesla's first product (Model S) who were not disappointed. I don't doubt there will be plenty willing to put their faith in PW.

Seriously, what? Existing solar battery solutions are garbage. That's why the market for them in so small. Sure, generators (particularly the NG ones) are great for those who can install them. But what if you can't? What else is there?
    Most of the people that "put their faith" in Tesla's first product had more money to burn then 95% of the rest of the country. So even if the model S didn't work out they would find ways to "write it off" in their tax returns.

Yet Tesla didn't continue only producing their "first" product but have made changes to not only improve the performance but lower the cost. So why would their first "home storage" product be the greatest first time out?

A Lithion battery system is fine for an automobile or high discharge applications but IMO too expensive for what a homeowner needs or uses as a power backup system.

For those of you that can't install a fossil fuel emergency generator, I truly wish for the battery technology you need to become available soon at a cost you can afford. But for those that can install a gen set I say wait on the Telsa home energy storage system until it is a little more proven.

Comment

• tehan
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
      The product is fatally flawed and is not at all likely to meet the sales brochure specs. But to comprehend that, you need an engineering background, not what passes for science class in school..
      Fatally flawed how exactly? I don't believe in playing the credentials game but you can assume I know a little more than they teach in school science class.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

I agree the marketing around the launch was overblown and ridiculous.
        That is all it was. Classic Pump and Dump to falsely drive up stock prices and an attempt to create a Market for a product that has yet to be released.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• donald
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2015

Tesla guaranteed the Roadster to have 70% capacity after 50,000 miles. A third party study of 3.2 million Roadster miles projects 80-85% capacity after 100,000 miles. Tesla knows a lot more about batteries today than they did in 2008.

It also comes with an eight year warranty from a company with half the market capitalization of Ford. While I don't see much use for the 10kWh model, all in all it is a good start. To even consider anything other than lead acid with solar technology is a welcome change.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

I agree that is always the sensible approach, but some of us can't help being early adopters!
            Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

You're entitled to that opinion so long as you accept it for what it is: a hunch, uninformed by data. There were plenty of people willing to put their faith in Tesla's first product (Model S) who were not disappointed. I don't doubt there will be plenty willing to put their faith in PW.
              Not if the public knew the truth. Telsa Motors has never made a profit from selling cars. All from subsidies. If not for subsidies, Tesla Motors would not exist.

The Powerwall was a divergence of Tesla Motors 2015 Q1 numbers which are cooked books.

I cannot complain though. I bought a few shares Tesla stock a few days after the Dog and Pony show. Got a nice profit locked with a Stop Loss sales order when the thrill is gone. I have no problem taking peoples money in bad stock choices. I play both sides of the Bear and Bull fence.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• tehan
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                Not if the public knew the truth. Telsa Motors has never made a profit from selling cars. All from subsidies. If not for subsidies, Tesla Motors would not exist.

The Powerwall was a divergence of Tesla Motors 2015 Q1 numbers which are cooked books.

I cannot complain though. I bought a few shares Tesla stock a few days after the Dog and Pony show. Got a nice profit locked with a Stop Loss sales order when the thrill is gone. I have no problem taking peoples money in bad stock choices. I play both sides of the Bear and Bull fence.
                Your first reference is to a two-year-old article about the revenue Tesla was then earning from California ZEV credits; today, Tesla earns no revenue from these credits. Your second reference claims that by following mandatory accounting rules to book revenue in the quarter in which a product is delivered that Tesla is somehow "cooking the books". Please tell me you have something better than this on which to base your negative views.

Comment

• tehan
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

an attempt to create a Market for a product that has yet to be released.
                  Not sure if you have ever worked in marketing, but I can assure you that's pretty much the job description.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Not sure if you have ever worked in marketing, but I can assure you that's pretty much the job description.
                    Owned my own engineering company. Don't know at thing about biz or engineering.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Owned my own engineering company. Don't know at thing about biz or engineering.
                      Glad to hear you admit it.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Fatally flawed how exactly? I don't believe in playing the credentials game but you can assume I know a little more than they teach in school science class.
                        The grid tie version was only allowed to cycle 1x a week. the other 6 days, it's useless. That makes for a lousy investment.

The off grid version was too small to be very useful, so several units would have to be installed.

The $3K sales price was battery pack only, ignoring the mandatory charger, inverter and wiring box. And the 24/7 internet connection.

Fatal flaws in my book.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• tehan
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2015

The grid tie version was only allowed to cycle 1x a week. the other 6 days, it's useless. That makes for a lousy investment.

The off grid version was too small to be very useful, so several units would have to be installed.

The $3K sales price was battery pack only, ignoring the mandatory charger, inverter and wiring box. And the 24/7 internet connection.

Fatal flaws in my book.
                          Odd comments. A quick Google search suggests there are 180,000 off-grid homes in the US. That's a tiny market of no interest to Tesla. The use cases are time-shifting (for which the daily cycle pack is suitable) or grid-failure backup (for which the weekly cycle is more than adequate). I suspect the vast majority of Powerwall customers will also install a PV system so will already have all the other necessary equipment. And seriously, internet? You think the people who are going to buy this don't have internet?

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Odd comments. A quick Google search suggests there are 180,000 off-grid homes in the US. That's a tiny market of no interest to Tesla. The use cases are time-shifting (for which the daily cycle pack is suitable) or grid-failure backup (for which the weekly cycle is more than adequate). I suspect the vast majority of Powerwall customers will also install a PV system so will already have all the other necessary equipment. And seriously, internet? You think the people who are going to buy this don't have internet?
                            So I gather you are going forward and getting one of the Tesla batteries for your home. That is your choice to make and money to spend. I wish you luck.

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

The battery pack is about 300VDC There is no base of installed off-grid systems based on 300VDC. So it's all new vaporware.
                              And I don't have 24/7 internet (needed for Tesla to control the pack) No reason for off-grid to need internet connection.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

And I don't have 24/7 internet (needed for Tesla to control the pack) No reason for off-grid to need internet connection.
                                Tesla Owners are not off-grid. have internet, and more money then they have common sense. They drank the Kool-Aid

I know that is what you meant, I just said it for you.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...