Newby needs help with choosing batteries

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jessejames801
    • Apr 2015

When you say 20% do you mean you only use 20% and want stop using the battery once it drops down to 80% charged ? Or you want to stop using the battery once it drops down to 20% charged ?

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Jessejames801
      When you say 20% do you mean you only use 20% and want stop using the battery once it drops down to 80% charged ? Or you want to stop using the battery once it drops down to 20% charged ?
      Stop at 80% SOC or 20% DOD. If you plan to use 1 Kwh per day takes a 5 Kwh battery.

a 12 volt 55 AH battery has a total capacity of 660 watt hours or .66 Kwh with a daily usage 130 watt hours per day.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Jessejames801
        • Apr 2015

I think I'm going to go with a 200 watt kit that comes with a 30amp charge controller with this set up instead of the 55 ah battery what size should I go battery should I go with ?

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jessejames801
          I think I'm going to go with a 200 watt kit that comes with a 30amp charge controller with this set up instead of the 55 ah battery what size should I go battery should I go with ?
          The battery size will depend on what type (PWM or MPPT) charge controller you get.

With a PWM then the charging amps will be the total of that 200 watt system can produce. Probably around 11 amps which would match up to a 100Ah battery.

If you are using a MPPT CC that could produce almost 17amps (200w / 12volt = 16.7a) which would allow you to go with a 150Ah battery.

Sunking answered your question. 20% DOD means there is 80% SOC left in the battery. SOC = State of Charge.

Comment

Working...