Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 2 battery bank at the same time

Hi everyone
    Can some one tell me how I can use 2 battery bank with a power inverter at the same time.
    I'm planing in use 2 different banks ( with there own battery charger) and I want to connect a power inverter.
    Thanks for any help.

2 battery banks

You will need a 2nd inverter otherwise your battery banks will be paralled into 1 inverter. The outputs of the 2 inverters can be combined in a load panel using for example 2 backfed breakers sized to the inverters and panel according to the NEC.

An option for the adventurous would be some massive Schottky diodes-OK just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by VinnyC View Post
      You will need a 2nd inverter otherwise your battery banks will be paralled into 1 inverter. The outputs of the 2 inverters can be combined in a load panel using for example 2 backfed breakers sized to the inverters and panel according to the NEC......
      Whoa. Some of this needs more explaining before anyone goes ahead with it.

First, there is NO issue with parallel banks feeding 1, 2 or even 3 inverters.

Second, when you add a 2nd inverter, it has to have a control or sync cable to the first inverter, to properly "PHASE" them, going into a 120V electrical panel/breaker box, you need both inverters IN sync.
      If you go into a 240V panel and have a mix of 120 & 240v appliances, your inverters need to be synced 180 degrees to create the 240v split phase (North America standard)

Third, battery banks in parallel are a bad idea, that can sometimes be made to work OK. Long article and the math here:
      http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Enjoy
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by VinnyC View Post
        You will need a 2nd inverter otherwise your battery banks will be paralled into 1 inverter. The outputs of the 2 inverters can be combined in a load panel using for example 2 backfed breakers sized to the inverters and panel according to the NEC.

An option for the adventurous would be some massive Schottky diodes-OK just kidding
        Ignore everything this person said. He has no clue what he is talking about.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X